Random Program Closures - mouse acting alone

wairererose

I am running Windows 10, Pro apparently.
AMD A6-3620 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.2 GHz, 6.00 GB (5.49 GB usable), 64 bit OS, x64 based processor, Touch support with 2 touch points.

Windows 10 has a somewhat irritating habit of updating itself without asking if I want it to, so I am not exactly sure when this happened, but probably within about the last month.

I recently noticed that my start button had stopped working (most apps I use regularly I have on the task bar so I seldom use the start button to access them), and I managed to fix that, but I have not been able to find anything on this issue. I believe they started around the same time, although the closures may have started earlier. I can't be sure on that, only that I noticed them earlier.

What is happening is that my cursor will flick up to the top right and close a program even if I'm working on it. I do not touch or bump the mouse. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it happens. My current workaround is to make the active windows of any programs I am running smaller than full-screen so that when the cursor flicks up there, it can't close anything because the top right of my window is to the left of the target point. The cursor also sometimes randomly jumps to another area of the screen.

I am thinking I must have a virus of some kind, but searches have not revealed anything, and so I am a bit stumped. I am running AVG free, and it is up to date and runs automatically.

I have looked at some of the logs and things for other similar reports, but they are on older OS and the issues did not seem to be close enough to my experience to be worth trying to replicate the reports requested (I have an assignment due, had forgotten to make Word smaller than full screen - thank goodness it asks if I want to save before closing!) without more clarification of what you might actually need.

If anyone is able to assist, I would appreciate it greatly. I can check in again after my assignment has been turned in tonight.

While I have some basic skills, I also have some glaring knowledge gaps, so I may need to come back with more questions to instructions.

I don't know if it is relevant, but I have a wireless mouse, it's a microsoft one.

I appreciate your help.

Had similar - bad mouse cord. Short inside so a tiny move might trigger. Didn't go as far as closing programs, but jerked and would do a 'one-click'. Replacing mouse took 3 days to come in from NewEgg. Long 3 days.

I will try moving the mouse away from the keyboard (to another surface) while working. It won't be the cord since my mouse is tail-less.

Wireless - missed that...

Battery (replace it)? Receiver (move it)? Driver (re-install it)? Even without a tail there is a lot that could be "erroneously influencing" your mouse.

The receiver is the little plug that goes in the computer?
Can you please tell me how to reinstall a driver?
I have just replaced the battery, although I think that one was okay. Usually when the battery is low the light underneath shuts off.

The receiver is the little plug that goes in the computer? Yes, remove and re-insert.

Can you please tell me how to reinstall a driver? Usually I locate the component in Device Manager, then I uninstall it, then I restart and hopefully PNP ties in with the driver on HDD. The url links to a much fuller explanation: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000834.htm

Thank you.

I have changed the battery twice, just to be sure it was fresh. Sitting the mouse on a separate surface did not help. That was a completely different piece of furniture, so there should not have been any vibration from the keyboard going through. I am not in a heavy traffic area, or even earthquake area where there might be tremors I won't feel but the mouse can, so those should not be factors either.

This morning (sorry I have been a while getting back, I use the computer only a few days a week, the rest of the time am limited to mobile devices) I have moved the transmitter/receiver plug to a different space in the USB ports, so we will see if that helps.

I also managed to find the device driver and had two identical mouse devices installed (from plugging it in a different port?). For helping me, you deserve a laugh: When I uninstalled it, the mouse stopped working - no surprises there - but I panicked. I have no idea what keyboard controls to use, and it took me a full 30 seconds to remember that I have a touch screen computer so I could still make the computer restart.

Next I will uninstall the second mouse device and restart again, and I will report back later today if the problem persists, or later this week/early next week if it has resolved.

I still have two mouse devices listed, although I have only one mouse. Is that a concern? They seem to come back when I restart the computer and have done it twice now. Does it mean I didn't uninstall them properly? Should I only worry if the problem remains?

2 mice after uninstall, some kind of hangover...
device manager / locate component / properties / drivers tab / uninstall (check delete software)

if that does not work, I would borrow a USB wired mouse, remove the wireless dongle, delete all the instances of the wireless mouse, reboot a couple of times and hope that Windows will do the right thing (The url links to a much fuller explanation : http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000834.htm )

if that doesn't work I would go to he manufacturer of the wireless mouse and ask for instruction (or I might check the website first)

Thank you for all your help. I have not seen the cursor flick up to the top right in a little while - unsure if it's because I haven't used the computer much or because we have managed to solve it. I am putting my windows back up to full-screen again, and will try the final suggestion if I have a recurrence.

I appreciate all the time you have put into this for me. Thank you again.

Back