Random Rebooting....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running ASUS A7V333-raid, AMD Athlon XP 1900+, and 512mbs of DDR333 Samsung Ram. My computer likes to randomly reboot. And its aggrivating as hell, I've tryed all kinds of stuff to find the problem but to no avail. I've tweaked so much in the bios and nothing seemed to work, I can't even recall all the settings I messed with. Ran Passmark's BurnInTest Pro v3, on my cpu, ram, graphics card, and harddrive, all at 100% capacity for 2 hours and no errors. Just recently I troubleshot the ram by just running one stick, one of my sticks caused it to reboot almost immediately, the second one didn't reboot for 2 days until after I thought i had fixed the problem. If I've got both sticks in, it reboots somewhere in between, around once a day. I have no idea what the problem, can I please get some help. I've got duplicate motherboard here that got sent to me in shipping mix ups, I'm going to exchange it and see if it fixes the problem, but assuming it does not, can I get some input please? Thank you.

Disabling Automatic Rebooting

My guess is that you have Windows XP. WinXP instead of showing an error screen automatically reboots when there is a system error. If you disable this it will instead show a blue screen of death. To disable the automatic rebooting visit this site for an explanation of how to do so.
1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.
4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.
5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.
Bobby

Then when you get a BSOD you should write down the information. With that you can Google for an answer or ask the helpful folks at Techspot Forums.:D

ok..

yeah i disabled that a little bit ago, i am getting physical memory dumps or whatever that means. But last night when it did it, didn't even give me a BSOD and i'm sure i had that setting turned off for automatic reboot. when i finish this english project i'm going to swap mobos, will i need to reinstall drivers? or since they're exactly same mobos don't need too?

Thanks

Perhaps a memory test is in order?

http://www.memtest86.com
(Installable from windows): http://www.memtest86.com/memt30.zip

There are many things that cause this, but the most likely candidates for your problems are probably memory, hard disk, drivers, power supply and/or overheating. It's a broad range of possibilities... This is one of the hardest problems to successfully diagnose and may take some real process of elmination to figure out 100%. But I wish you the best of luck. :)

If you run that memory test and it passes, then that's one less factor you'll have to worry about.

Rebooting

Probably it is not the cause but I had the similair thing happen to me. My onboard lan died and I went to Staples and got new network card and after installing it, I started getting random reboots. I can't remember who the manufacturer of the card was but I now have a D-Link it works great. Have you made any recent changes to your system, hardware, drivers, etc... perhaps even win xp auto update feature. Maybe a restore point to an earlier time if you have made any cahnges might be in order.

alrighty then....

well, i switched motherboards and it still is rebooting, and i also ran that memory test, i left and went to easter dinner type thing and passed 27 tests with no errors. so that leaves possible cpu, harddrive, sound(onboard), and videocard that could be causing the problem, is this correct? please let me know what you guys think.

wow...

also it just rebooted, even after i turned off window's feature to reboot on any non-rescuable error, it doesn't give me a blue screen of death, it just reboots.

Could be video card, ram or even the PS. It's always nice to have spares laying around.

Note to self: Don't throw out any of that stuff that your wife calls 'useless crap'.

Got a friend with spare patrts?

alrighty...

well i ran intensive tests on my ram and CPU yesterday, ram for 5 hours with no errors and cpu for 7 hours with no errors, also ran norton's newest utilities on my harddrive and no problems or bad sectors, i swapped motherboards and it still happens, i swapped out my video card and it wouldn't even boot up the other graphics card i had, kinda wierd. is there anyway i can test my power supply? i've got a friend with a spare 350 i might go pick up tday, thanks for help fellas, input still welcome :-D

If its any consolation... my machine does the same. I've tried pretty much all that you have apart from completely replacing the CPU, GFX or HDD's. I've come to a dead end - I'm thinking of going back to Win2k anyway....

I have a similar problem.

ABIT KR7A-133,
1 x 128 MB kingston DDR,
AMD Athlon XP 1600+.
Abit GF4 Siluro 4200

My computer reboots 0 to 10 min after a cold boot, with a BSOD (usually with IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal, but the STOP message varies). After reboot it usually works fine though.

When I browsed through SiSoftware Sandra's information about my mainbord, I saw there is probably a problem with my PS.

Voltage Sensor(s)

Item Value
-12v -7.26V
-5v 0.33V

(The other voltages seem to be ok)
I have no other PS, but I will meassure the output for each wire on my PS to see if it's faulty.

Running Win XP

Different brand of mobo perhaps? Don't know, heh, I've stuck with Intel forever, I've had nothing but problems with AMD :D

I had a problem with random rebooting and locking up. For me it came down to my CPU's temperature. Checkout speed fan if you think that could be your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back