Random Shut offs

Hi all

I recently upgraded the CPU in my laptop (the specifics aren't important). It runs better than it ever has before! Well, at least it does for around 30 minutes. It's developed a lovely habit of randomly and unexpectedly shutting off.

Now, I know that the CPU is compatible with the motherboard; the fact that my laptop actually runs proves this.

I'm wondering what the issue could be?

My main suspicion is heat. The laptop is running at about 50-55 degrees on average; is this normal? I've cleaned out all of the airways and the fan; it's all running normally and the fan varies in speed depending on workload and temperature. This leads me to believe that the problem might lie somewhere else.

I've searched nearly every forum going but everyone just yells about overheating. Could someone please advise me to any theories they may have and help me fix the problem

Sounds pretty much as heat issues to me. I have also once upgraded a laptop cpu and even tho the clock speed increased by only 300MHz it got heat issues. I had to have a separate notebook cooler for that to run.
Anyways, the specs would help us to find what sort of temps your comp. should run on...and does it just randomly die when you idle or does it die after you have been using it for a while?

Thanks for your reply

I've been doing some research tHat has lead me to believe that the BIOS doesn't allow for a cpu upgrade.

The laptop shuts off exactly 30 minutes after I turn it on whether I'm using it or just leaving it idle. It doesn't get too hot and the CPU operates at pretty much exctly the same temperatures as the old one

I've tried using household fans to blow cold air into the cooling vents and propping the laptop up to enhance the cooling effect but the same happened; after 30 minutes it just died.

The machine is a Packard Bell EasyNote TE11HC

Oh, in that case you could at least try to update the BIOS.
Here's Packard Bell's download driver download site.

Back