Ransom BSOD - Dell Latitude E6400

By jgarreola79
Mar 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. One of my users has been getting random BSOD for past few days. We tried updating the BIOS but got new error. I'm leaning toward RAM issues. Running through dell diagnostics and will be calling them if RAM fails. Any Ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,271

3. jgarreola79

jgarreola79 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Avast was the culprit. She recently upgraded from 4 to 6 but did not use the uninstall utility provided by Avast. We've completely removed and reinstalled and have not had more problems. Thanks for the info Mark56.
  4. jgarreola79

Still getting issues

The user is still getting issues. Here are the latest minidumps. Sorry for the delay this user is very slow to respond too my requests and since she is remotely located we are having difficulty connecting.

Attached Files:

5. Mark56

I have only had time to check the last dump file but it is still saying it is Avast.

My only hunch is that there is some other software causing an incompatibility with Avast. Are you using any other anti virus or a third party firewall. You should not have more than one anti virus program running at any given time.

If your answer is "no" then I would completely remove Avast and then use the free version of Avira which is excellent anti virus.

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus.

If the answer is "yes" then completely uninstall any other anti virus or third party firewall and see if the problem persists. Always use an uninstall tool if available, disabling the software may not be sufficient.
  6. Mark56

Just to add a bit more, many of the dump files in the .txt attachment could also indicate faulty memory. If the suggestions above don't fix the issue then follow this guide. I would stress that the best test for memory is to run the PC with just one memory stick fitted and then swap them around to test each one.

7. jgarreola79

Random BSOD

The user is to uninstall Avast 6.0 and reinstall 5.0. We have a corpoate license with Avast and no other firewall or antivirus program on the system. I've read on a few boards that 6.0 can cause the BSOD. The user didn't experience this problem with avast 4. I'll post an update once she verifies she's installed 5.0.

Thanks
  8. jgarreola79

User finally updated Avast and is now using verison 6.0.1125. Has been stable for few weeks now.
  9. Mark56

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.