Ransom BSOD - Dell Latitude E6400

jgarreola79

One of my users has been getting random BSOD for past few days. We tried updating the BIOS but got new error. I'm leaning toward RAM issues. Running through dell diagnostics and will be calling them if RAM fails. Any Ideas?

Attachments

• E6400 - BSOD's.ZIP
    67.4 KB · Views: 2
Avast was the culprit. She recently upgraded from 4 to 6 but did not use the uninstall utility provided by Avast. We've completely removed and reinstalled and have not had more problems. Thanks for the info Mark56.

Still getting issues

The user is still getting issues. Here are the latest minidumps. Sorry for the delay this user is very slow to respond too my requests and since she is remotely located we are having difficulty connecting.

Attachments

• Cara - Minidumps..txt
    19.1 KB · Views: 1
  • E6400 - BSOD's.ZIP
    190.3 KB · Views: 1
I have only had time to check the last dump file but it is still saying it is Avast.

My only hunch is that there is some other software causing an incompatibility with Avast. Are you using any other anti virus or a third party firewall. You should not have more than one anti virus program running at any given time.

If your answer is "no" then I would completely remove Avast and then use the free version of Avira which is excellent anti virus.

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus.

If the answer is "yes" then completely uninstall any other anti virus or third party firewall and see if the problem persists. Always use an uninstall tool if available, disabling the software may not be sufficient.

Just to add a bit more, many of the dump files in the .txt attachment could also indicate faulty memory. If the suggestions above don't fix the issue then follow this guide. I would stress that the best test for memory is to run the PC with just one memory stick fitted and then swap them around to test each one.

Power off the PC and remove the mains connection, always touch the metal of the case with your hands to avoid any static electricity from causing component damage. (On laptops ALWAYS remove the battery before removing or replacing memory modules). Remove all your memory modules. Clean the contacts with a soft rubber (up and down not from end to end) then insert just one module and reboot to test for any change in performance. Repeat this for every module one at a time and run for at least 24 hours. Obviously if you only have one module this cannot be done, but you should still remove and clean the module and reseat it and test.

If you only have one stick download this to test it. http://www.memtest.org/

You need to scroll down the page until you see the three blue screenshots. Just below is the list of downloads for Memtest86+ V4.10. Click on Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)and save to your desktop, When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD. In windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. http://www.isoimageburner.com/

Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos. Leave the test to run through at least 5 cycles.

The memtest will not be 100% accurate but should easily detect any major faults.

Random BSOD

The user is to uninstall Avast 6.0 and reinstall 5.0. We have a corpoate license with Avast and no other firewall or antivirus program on the system. I've read on a few boards that 6.0 can cause the BSOD. The user didn't experience this problem with avast 4. I'll post an update once she verifies she's installed 5.0.

Thanks

Back