Raspberry Pi delayed over confusion about CE approval

By Leeky
Mar 30, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. The Raspberry Pi computer has been further delayed after confusion surrounding whether the educational credit card sized computer needed European CE certification before it could be shipped to customers.

Read the whole story
  2. kiklion

kiklion Newcomer, in training

Man, this is why regulation sucks. I mean, finding a finger in your fries is acceptable if you get your raspberry pie.
  3. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,259   +216

This is just annoying. Those same distributors sell the BeagleBone, which technically fits into the same "development board" product type as the Raspberry Pi, yet it doesn't require CE marks. Funny how a product with a higher profit margin (that has been sold for a long time now) can somehow avoid the whole compliance issue, but a surprisingly popular new hacker board with very low margins is being forced through the ringer.

Requiring this first release of the board only, which is more targeted at hackers and tinkerers than mainstream consumers, to carry CE compliance seems ridiculous. Now, the release later this year, which will have a case and a power supply, I could see that needing a CE mark. At least, in that case, it's more of a complete system, with an actual end product form factor and packaging locked in, and emissions are more relevant.
  4. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

whats this computer do exactly???
  5. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,119   +51

I invite you to google good sir
  6. Perhaps 3d was being sarcastic. hmmm?! lol
  7. Looks like a major oversight on their part, anybody with experince of EMC product tetsing could have told them they would need a CE mark,.regardless of whether it is development (presumably they would have to pay for it) board any piece of equipment being placed on the market requires a CE mark.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.