Razer Edge Gaming Tablet Review: A full-blown PC trapped inside a tablet

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/656-razer-edge-pro/]https://www.techspot.com/review/656-razer-edge-pro/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

I've probably said this before but half the fun of gaming is building a badass rig myself then spending hours tweaking said rig, swapping parts in an out, etc. in search of just a handful of fps that I'll probably never notice in-game or may just bump me up from the "high" settings to the coveted "ultra" settings. So really these tablet devices just don't do it for me. I know there's plenty of gamers that don't feel the same way. But no amount of portability will replace hardware customization for me.

This my have potential with Haswell. But as of now, this is looking like trash. Bad screen, low resolution, and a bad graphics card. Maybe they can push the tablet further with Haswell, not just with the better GPU, but also with the power savings (this would allow for a 1080P screen).

A full blown PC in a tablet but not @ 1366 x 768 res, bleh. I game at 2560 x 1600 30 inch display. So Im a tad spoiled I guess.

Razer has managed to pack a well rounded PC inside a tablet, and for its intended market (early adopters with cash to burn) it may be worth the price. It's a really cool gadget, too, but for everybody else, the Edge is ahead of its time since it needs better battery life and a lower price.

It would of been nice to see how long the INTERNAL battery lasted without the aid of an external/optional addon.

Some folks seem to be resolution junkies. Something this size even 800x600 would be enough - the idea here is that you can game WHERE you could not game before. However with the expected dismal battery life you can't game much - 4-6hrs might be enough to keep the kid busy on a long car trip.

Changing the CPU to a 'Haswell' design won't help matters any - even the new Intel chip does not have enough GPU umph to drive a modern game @ 800x600 let alone full 1080P sillyness or remove the need for a dedicated Nvidia mobile GPU.

The tester COULD of dialed down the graphics to bare minimum and forced using the Ivy GPU while using only the onboard internal battery to give potential buyers a real 'bare bones' performance/display quality and battery life assessment, but I suppose that is beyond the logical means of staff writers these days.

This thing does sport the power of a 'medium gaming laptop' in a small tablet form. Still pretty cool.

This is one of those items that has cool factor, but still a bit pricey and low on certain specs (battery life in particular). I know this site is filled with "make your own gaming rig" techies (myself included), but if you need a portable gaming solution, this one is soooo close to covering it all. Longer core battery life, plus a good keyboard dock, and I could consider losing my laptop in favor of an Edge for the majority of my traveling. At least it has a GPU so I could access SolidWorks on the road...

Updating the Edge with Haswell will improve the processing power of the system, but it still will need GPU oomph to be considered a gaming platform. Unfortunately, it appears that Razer is pretty much married to Intel and Nvidia, so we will probably never get to see what power/performance/battery might have been possible with an AMD APU and discrete GPU combination - that would be an interesting comparison.

Seriously, making this a lower res would have helped its battery life dramatically. I dont know why anyone wants 2500 x 1600 on a tablet with already sub par battery life ( bad battery for a somewhat understandable reason too)

A product of this nature will hit bumpy roads before it makes its way onto the freeway. The execution doesn't match the idea, yet, but it needed to start somewhere.
Seriously, making this a lower res would have helped its battery life dramatically. I dont know why anyone wants 2500 x 1600 on a tablet with already sub par battery life ( bad battery for a somewhat understandable reason too)
Because 1080p came out 30 years ago it seems and moving on from it is long overdue.

I am a big fan of this writer, really enjoy the way he/she involved comedy with the review here and there but keeped it business at the same time. Including at the "Still, it's growing on me, and it's not like I can break up with it now that we've been in the bathroom together."

Back