Re-use an old floppy drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_am_a_newbie

When I put together my PC I went in the direction of no floppy drive(saved me a couple bucks). But I did not realize they were still required for some very important tasks, such as BIOS flashing.

Anywho, on to my question.

Would using an old floppy drive from a primitive(P2 333mhz) computer pose me any problems? I mean, it worked fine, but is there any difference from it and a brand new floppy drive?

As you can see, I'm extremely cheap :D . But I will spring the money for a new drive if using an old one is a bad idea.

thanks.

Old floppy should work just fine.

you can still get make cd bootdisk using floppy emulation to run dos for flashing etc..

I got some that are like over 15 years old.

keep the laughter down guys lol

pcaceit said:
Old floppy should work just fine.

you can still get make cd bootdisk using floppy emulation to run dos for flashing etc..

I got some that are like over 15 years old.

keep the laughter down guys lol
Ah thank you. Saved me a couple of bucks that I will no doubt waste on food. Heh.

Well, off to pull that junker apart.

most aftermarket motherboards come with a windows based BIOS flash utilities (or have them available for download).

Of the last 5 systems I've built, I have flashed the BIOS on all of them. but I haven't used a floppy drive for anything in years. (i didn't even bother installing one in the last 3 systems)

I realize that there may be some exceptions, but they are very rare these days. and like pcaceit said, you can always boot and flash from a CD as well if for whatever reason you can't flash from windows.

as far as the installation goes, your old floppy should work fine. the technology is ancient with the only improvement to them being the 2.88MB drives. there is generally no difference to new ones today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back