Really low signal for wireless??

By mobkon
Jul 25, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey all, i tried to search this board but couldnt find an answer. I have an older Linksys wireless-B router (BEFW11S4). My wireless laptop which is 2 floors above the wireless router, has a really low signal and it makes it hard to use the internet. I remember there was a signal booster that linksys made a few years ago, but I cannot find it anymore. If I upgraded to a more current router, would my signal strength improve? Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks!
  2. altheman

altheman Newcomer, in training Posts: 541

If you buy a new router, with a wide range, it will help.
    You are 2 floors above the router, and plus the router is old. This is why you are having connection problems. I'd would say buying a new router is your best option.
  3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

The signal booster made very little difference... I kid you not!

I tried to hack together a Linksys box and signal booster a couple of times for customers hoping for good results. I was always left disappointed... And so were the customers. I vowed never again.

I found the best solutions in those cases were using repeaters and/or hi-gain antennas.
  4. hnsexeter

hnsexeter Newcomer, in training Posts: 50

Wireless routers and usb / laptop adapters have arials of 2.4dB which limits length / strength of signal.

You can try replacing these arials with 5dB screw on arials available at ebuyer.com but to gain from this you must have a 5dB in the router AND in the receiving computer otherwise you will recieve no gains in strength. Hope this helps
  5. hnsexeter

hnsexeter Newcomer, in training Posts: 50

Wireless routers and usb / laptop adapters have arials of 2.4dB which limits length / strength of signal.

You can try replacing these arials with 5dB screw on arials available at ebuyer.com but to gain from this you must have a 5dB in the router AND in the receiving computer otherwise you will recieve no gains in strength.

You could also try a longer extension cable from the wireless card in you PC to position the receiving arial better.

In all honesty I by the time you've bought the arials I would just go and buy a new router with MIMO technology

Chris
    www.pcpoorly.com
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.