Realtek AC97 audio pains

Status
Not open for further replies.
To put it bluntly my sound has stopped working.
I have made no changes to my computer.

I am useing realtek ac97 audio. My computer tells me that the drivers are missing or corupt. I have tried everything. I have reinstalled it, I have run maintenance on it, and I have downloaded and updated the drivers and still the same problem.
I have also restored the my computer to factory defaults.

I know the problems not the hardware as i have checked it.

Any idea on how to fix this ?

edit

Also when i run a diagnostics i get
Hardware Detection: PASS
Wave: FAIL
Midi: FAIL
MixeR: FAIL
DirectSound 3D: FAIL
Soundfont: FAIL
Mixer Settings: FAIL

What's your computer make/model (or motherboard make/model)? Your version of Windows and Service Pack level?

• First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post

There is always the "install a quality PCI sound card" option... I actually did just the opposite recently. I trashed my Creative XFi Gamer sound card, in favor of my much better on-board sound. The XFi Gamer just doesn't work well in Vista or Windows 7... It must be a driver issue

What's your computer make/model (or motherboard make/model)? Your version of Windows and Service Pack level?

• First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post
My computer is a aspire T135
Im useing service pack 2 build 2600

This appears in problem drivers.

Audio Codecs ROOT\MEDIA\MS_MMACM 39
Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM) PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_20021102&REV_04\3&13C0B0C5&0&50 39
Creative Game Port PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_7003&SUBSYS_00401102&REV_04\3&13C0B0C5&0&51 39
Legacy Audio Drivers ROOT\MEDIA\MS_MMDRV 39
Legacy Video Capture Devices ROOT\MEDIA\MS_MMVCD 39
Media Control Devices ROOT\MEDIA\MS_MMMCI 39
Microsoft Kernel System Audio Device SW\{A7C7A5B0-5AF3-11D1-9CED-00A024BF0407}\{9B365890-165F-11D0-A195-0020AFD156E4} 39
Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_A0021458&REV_60\3&13C0B0C5&0&8D 39
Video Codecs ROOT\MEDIA\MS_MMVID 39

A friend of mine just had a similar problem last night. I had him goto the device manager and delete his audio device and then restart. When he logged back in it automatically reinstalled the devices and he had sound.

A friend of mine just had a similar problem last night. I had him goto the device manager and delete his audio device and then restart. When he logged back in it automatically reinstalled the devices and he had sound.
is worth a try

But if no results, try getting to your drivers by click and going to web site USL. The try the ftp link at the bottom of the web site.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is always the "install a quality PCI sound card" option... I actually did just the opposite recently. I trashed my Creative XFi Gamer sound card, in favor of my much better on-board sound. The XFi Gamer just doesn't work well in Vista or Windows 7... It must be a driver issue

Isn't the XFi Gamer the card Creative intentionally trashed via drivers in Vista to drive upgrade sales, then threatened to sue the individual who fixed the drivers to provide full functionality in Vista? If so there are drivers floating around which will provide full functionality in Vista, but they are not sanctioned by Creative. Check Creative's support boards on the subject if you're interested.

Lordbuxton, have you installed any other devices in the past few months? I loaded a program which reads and interfaces with an automotive code reader and it slowly nuked my AC97. That it got progressively worse over a period of weeks made it difficult to diagnose and I was pretty sure I had a hardware failure, but by using msconfig and disabling drivers one by one I was able to diagnose the conflicting driver. Windows showed no conflicts, and re-installing the sound drivers did no good. Now I only load the driver when I need to use the code reader and my sound works fine the rest of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back