RealTek AC97 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to say this a great board, I had a look around and I like what I see. :)

I have a problem, my girlfriend's computer has no audio when she re-installed XP. She has all the discs with drivers when she purchased the computer, but non of them have the appropriate driver. I downloaded SiSoftware Sandra, and it says there is am obsolete driver for the Realtek AC 97 sound card. I searched high and low and tried maybe 5-6 different drivers that claimed to be the right one with no success. Windows device manager says the driver is installed and working properly (when the driver that windows automaticaly installs, is installed).

Its an onboard sound card, the mother board is made by Micro-Star Inc. the model number is MS-6580. I'm seriuosly thinking I need to break up with her and run! lol. so if anyone could help me out with this, maybe let me know exactly what driver i need, or if im missing something I would really really appreciate it. Im ready to throw this computer off the balcony.

Thanks,
Sean.

Well since it is on-board sound you need to download drivers form the manufacturerss website. Make sure that on-board sound is enabled in the BIOS too.

I tried the above driver.. no luck.

The MSI website and the RealTek website dont have the right drivers. :(

*edit*

I didnt think the BIOS would be changed seeing how the audioi used to work before the reinstall.. but I did check it out and it is set to "auto".

Try setting it to ENABLED in the BIOS if there is an option rather than AUTO. Not sure if this would do anything though

re-install the chipset driver from MSI. Look on the mobo for some other identification, 6580 is the model, but that not how MSI identifies all thier mobo's anymore...Look for something like "KT ULTRA" or something...MSI loves to use the letters "K" and "T" and a few numbers and "ULTRA" in just about everything. Make sure you get the proper revision number as well.

After downloading the latest chipset drivers, if that doesn't do it (they will sometimes include audio drivers) then download and install the audio drivers for your board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back