TechSpot

RealTek AC97 problem

By Sean416
Dec 6, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey Guys,

I just wanted to say this a great board, I had a look around and I like what I see. :)

I have a problem, my girlfriend's computer has no audio when she re-installed XP. She has all the discs with drivers when she purchased the computer, but non of them have the appropriate driver. I downloaded SiSoftware Sandra, and it says there is am obsolete driver for the Realtek AC 97 sound card. I searched high and low and tried maybe 5-6 different drivers that claimed to be the right one with no success. Windows device manager says the driver is installed and working properly (when the driver that windows automaticaly installs, is installed).

Its an onboard sound card, the mother board is made by Micro-Star Inc. the model number is MS-6580. I'm seriuosly thinking I need to break up with her and run! lol. so if anyone could help me out with this, maybe let me know exactly what driver i need, or if im missing something I would really really appreciate it. Im ready to throw this computer off the balcony.

Thanks,
    Sean.
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

You might want to try this one -> Download Link

PS. Welcome to TechSpot. Hope you enjoy your stay.:wave:
  3. werty316

werty316 TS Rookie Posts: 246

Well since it is on-board sound you need to download drivers form the manufacturerss website. Make sure that on-board sound is enabled in the BIOS too.
  4. werty316

MSI's website is screwed up. Can't even look for drivers
  5. Sean416

Sean416 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I tried the above driver.. no luck.

The MSI website and the RealTek website dont have the right drivers. :(

*edit*

I didnt think the BIOS would be changed seeing how the audioi used to work before the reinstall.. but I did check it out and it is set to "auto".
  6. werty316

Try setting it to ENABLED in the BIOS if there is an option rather than AUTO. Not sure if this would do anything though
  7. PreservedSwine

PreservedSwine TS Rookie Posts: 375

re-install the chipset driver from MSI. Look on the mobo for some other identification, 6580 is the model, but that not how MSI identifies all thier mobo's anymore...Look for something like "KT ULTRA" or something...MSI loves to use the letters "K" and "T" and a few numbers and "ULTRA" in just about everything. Make sure you get the proper revision number as well.

After downloading the latest chipset drivers, if that doesn't do it (they will sometimes include audio drivers) then download and install the audio drivers for your board.
  8. newbie5678

newbie5678 TS Rookie Posts: 48

RealTek AC'97 works great with my onboard soundcard. I have an ECS K5S7A mobo that came with drivers that didnot work at all. The audio was distorted and muffled. The line-in did not work at all. But RealTek fixed all that. Now I have decent 2 ch sound with ~95db SNR and up to 48kHz/320kbps.
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/products1-1.aspx?lineid=5
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.