TechSpot

Realtek Ac'97 Weird problem

By RhiNoKiLL
Apr 24, 2007
  1. Hey I know theres a few topics about this already but none of them is the same as mine.

I have downloaded the lastest drivers for the onboard Realtek, I could then only play music from windows media player nothing else. (internet, windows theme, games, etc)
    I checked BIOS and it is ENABLED. I tried turning the sound card on and off in the device manager. I also tried reinstalling the drivers from the cd that came with the MoBo. I've tried plugging into every port(line in,line out, mic, etc)
    When I updated the new driver and when into the progam. Only way I got sound on windows media player was to select 5.1 Surround sound.

Im running on a PC 1.7 GHZ AMD athlon. Nvida chipset I believe(nforce or wutever)

I heard i need some kinda of older verison of the driver that is signed by Microsoft. I cannot find this driver anywhere and is this what I need? Because when I installed the audio drivers/codecs it said I should stop this installation because it is not approved or whatever my Microsoft but I contiuned anyways.

Please help thanks :)

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

AC'97 Audio Codecs. | Windows | Unix (Linux) | OS/2 |. Windows
    Realtek Media Player
    www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx

There are no Realtek versions for which there are not drivers at the realtek site.... also see www.driverguide.com and others.
    This is an extremely common unit.
    You need to delete or disable the old drivers in the Device Manager.

3. RhiNoKiLL

RhiNoKiLL TS Rookie Topic Starter

So I should install install another driver from driverguide.com and delete the one I installed earlier? I installed the one you linked me to already and it only plays sounds in the Windows Media Player, I need it to play sounds for everything else.

Thanks

4. theboy!

theboy! TS Rookie

5. RhiNoKiLL

Ok I did what you asked but the same problem stil remains. I can hear from windows media player nothing else.

Also I just wanted to show you when im installing the drivers this pops up.

I've attached 3 Screen shots.

First one it shows the thing that pops up during installation.

2nd one shows when I click those two circled speakers I hear sounds. Only from those two and not the front ones. (Im using 2 regaular sony speakers)

3rd shows you the only two options that I have to click in order to hear anything from.

Im not using any subwoofer im using standards speakers that comes with computers. :S What's going on ?!!?

6. theboy!

theboy! TS Rookie

click continue installation

7. RhiNoKiLL

I did.....thanks for your help but its not working.

Anyone else got an idea?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.