Realtek HD audio manager, change a mic port to a headphones port?

Dhakos

My laptop had headphones plugged in because I was watching a film, but while I was in another room, my laptop was knocked onto the floor (around 1.5-2 ft drop) landing on the headphones jack, the wire is fine, but the ports completely broken, I can see cracks and its loose and everything :(

The laptop has Realtek HD audio manager, and in my experience of this program on other desktops I've had, I was able to change what port does what.

My laptop only has a headphones port and a mic port, and I would like to see if I can switch the mic port to be the headphones port because I never use an external mic, however in Realteks audio manager I can't find out how to do this. In pictures I've seen on the internet there is a "Device Advanced Settings" button (as seen in this picture http://www.vistax64.com/attachments...ealtek-hd-audio-driver-version-hd_manager.jpg) but my program doesn't have this.

Do I need to download a newer version of the software? or is it just not possible to change my mic port to be my headphone port? I dont mind if I have to use third party software, I just want it to tide me over till I can get it sent away.

Thanks for suggestions, greatly appretiated

I doubt very much if this will be possible. The mic and headphone ports are wired directly to the Audio section of the motherboard, there connections cannot be altered.

Your best bet is to get the damaged port repaired.

actually, some laptops' realtek allows you to do 'connector retasking', that is converting the mic jack to be headphone jack. it's completely random. my acer have that but another msi gaming laptop doesnt have it. both uses ALC888S chip.

you can check by (plug the headphone first) right clicking the mic circle (pink) and select connector retasking, if available.

connector%20retasking.jpg

Sorry for the misinformation, I stand corrected by Nismo91, we learn something new everyday on here.

Aha, that retasking is exactly what I'm after, but when I plug the headphones into the mic port, the pink port lights up (instead of being faded) however right clicking doesn't give any retasking options, or anything else useful, any ideas how else I can get this function?

im sorry but if it doesn't show 'connector retasking' i believe your realtek does not support that function.

actually, they might sound identical for powered speakers, but for headphone, the mic and line-in jack provide worse sound than the default headphone jack. it seems that the mic and line-in are underpowered for headphone, but works fine for speakers though.

Hmm, thanks for all the help so far, I haven't had chance to try it yet, but I'm glad I know some versions of Realtek can do it, I'll try update my version and see what happens

Thanks again

Hello,

I found same problem with you regarding of my broken audio port.
Is the problem solved so you guys can share ?

I've still not been able to find the menu allowing me to change the mic port to a speaker port, and I've had no luck finding an update to the software or drivers for the device :(

I have a solution that works quite nicely for broken audio jack on a non re-mappable laptop. My laptop chipset is realtek audio with only two jack inputs (Mic and Audio) and the chipset does not allow task remapping unless I physically edited the OEM34.inf file and the HDAUD.inf . This can work but blue screens irregularly which is not what I wanted. I had sound so I thought out of the box here...literally!
Most Laptops have two speakers and the wires are universally red and black. Open the laptop or ask a technician to do so if you are wary of this and attach a male 1/4 inch jack to the speaker wires with both speakers wired to one output and the other to the jack. Easy as pie if you want only headphones left balance and speakers right balance. you can get more complicated by attaching a small two way toggle switch that allows you to use either speakers or the newly made headphone extension. I made a tiny hole on my laptop and wired the external lead on the side of the laptop to the center of the back of my screen to make it more aesthetically pleasing the wiring follows the LCD ribbon cable up the inside of the screen and I drilled a hole for the exit wire to mount the jack with a polymer bond. I made the stereo work by using white red and black. White Red are positive and black is common for the non audio buffs. For the Toggle switch you can use a surface mount passive switch which entails more wires. Hope his helps all of you guys out as I now have headphones and audio output for presentations and home video again!

Attachments

• jack.jpg
    jack.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 32
Bebelion s****tion is by far the simplest for you... I believe that your lappy is a simple one with intgerated chips( not a fancy gaming one, in which most components are meant to be replaced and altered), then most probably your lappy will not have any software support for what you want.. and getting hardware repaired will cost a lot. best is get a good bluetooth headphone. it will always be handy.

I know threads old but I struck-out with the previous ideas and though I would share my final solution.
They make USB dongles that convert 1 USB port into a Headphone and Mic jack. There are many styles and types available, and they are pretty cheap. Carry it around in your bag or ducktape it to the side of the laptop :cool:*nerd*

In the Realtek HD Audio Manager (RHAM) right click on the audio port you want to remap and you'll see the option to remap. If you don't have RHAM in Control Panel, you can find it in the driver folder as RtkNGUI64.exe or similar.
If you don't have the folder, simply use 7Zip or another Archiving program to extract/unzip/unpack the .exe or .cab file of the driver and you'll find it there.

To install RHAD in Control Panel sometimes you need to install a bit older driver for Realtek audio and then update the driver via Windows Device Manager by pointing to the folder with the extracted driver.

What you need is:
- driver file downloaded from Realtek website or other reliable source (your system or motherboard manufacturer)
- ability to use 7 Zip or similar
- ability to reinstall/update drivers from Device Manager
- willingness to check other options if the above does not exactly match your system or situation
- perseverance to continue in spite of the challenges until you find a way

I hope that helps.
Cheers
Kamil

Back