Realtek Sound Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
Sound: Onboard Realtek (Not sure of the name exactly)

Hello,

So about a month ago I inserted a WAN Card into my PC and after doing so am having an issue getting sound out of both of my speakers. If I slowly slide my speaker plug into the motherboard it will play out of the left speaker only. Once I slide the plug all the way in, the sound only comes out of the right speaker. I do have front jacks that work fine, but I'm trying to avoid using those as I have a one year old who has learned how to walk and loves to play with things in her reach.

Things I've checked:

1. I'm reopened my computer to see if I happened to knock anything loose during my WAN Card installation process.

2. I've checked the balance setting for my speakers.

3. I've plug in a headset to make sure it wasn't a speaker issue.

4. I've ran the "Speaker Setup" wizard offered by the Realtek software multiple times.

5. I've removed the WAN card and tried to use the speakers then.

Is there anything missing or am I just out of luck?

Thanks!

Go into the Control Panel, System, Device Manager and delete the Realtek sound device. Restart your computer and see if Windows picks it up and reinstalls it

Well, if the front jacks work fine then it's probably not a driver issue... but attempting a reinstall is never a bad idea. Do the speakers both work with the WAN card removed, or can you try the card in another slot on the motherboard? Make sure the speakers are being plugged into the correct jack on the back of the tower... usually a green-colored one used for regular 2.1 speakers.

Maybe it's something inside the plug? I know from work experience that headphone cables are famous for being yanked. Often resulting in a broken headphone jack or pins. If you have a 1 yr old around, she may have already tripped on the wires a few times :) Some paper or part of a pin from a different audio jack, etc might be found inside the jack. I once found that the letter "W" flash card was the cause for a failure in my floppy disk drive. After buying a replacement drive, of course.

You might try plugging your speakers to a different plug-in the back. If you have the Realtek driver's installed correctly, they should prompt you to describe what type of device you are plugging in. (Speaker, microphone, etc...) Just tell it it's a speaker and you should get your sounds back.

Just curious, what happened on test #3? Did the headphones work properly?

Sorry for the late reply, I'm in the military and have been in the field. As for test #3 I was given the same results as if I had the speakers plugged in. Also, as far as plugging the speakers into a different jack at the rear of my computer, for some reason THIS computer doesn't seem to give me the choice to change which jack is for the speakers. My other computer also has a Realtek on-board card and gives me that choice so I don't know what gives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back