Reasonably priced 19" or 20" monitor, not wide-screen?

By macx
Apr 13, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. My dell 1905fp finally crashed after a lot of years. I'm not a gamer, but I was very happy with that monitor.

Of course they no longer make it, and I understand refurbished monitors of this type are not necessarily a good option.

I can't seem to find reviews or comparisons which point the way to other similar monitors. I'm retired and just can't afford the $600 and way up price of what I've seen so far.

I just need a basic monitor with VGA and DVI, but would like the screen performance to be decent, incl for watching movies etc.

Any recommendations, and where to get a reasonable price? Again, don't want a wide screen.

Thanks much!
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Nothing wrong with buying refurbs. They may have a few blemishes in the frame but nothing serious to keep them from functioning. I've bought a few myself and have had no issues with them. Although the monitors I bought were 20" widescreens that averaged $120 or less. For what you need/want, I wouldn't spend more than $150.

I know you said no widescreen, but movies do view better on widescreen. - less than $100
  3. macx

macx TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 710

I had bought refurb's before but recently read a post that cautioned against it, and the reasons seemed sound. Well, found a Class A on ebay with a 2 year warranty for an extra $20, so with shipping it was a couple bucks under $100.

Sure is nice to be able to decipher English on the screen again instead of having to squint at what looks like Arabic squiggles!