Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

trackboi

Hey,

When i try to turn my computer on it comes up with a blue screen after the windows loading bar page with the following:

Stop: C0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file)

physical dump blah blah
physical dump complete blah blah.

anyway no matter how many times i restart this happens.

What can I do to fix and prevent this problem? I have googled it a fair bit but no striking results.

Cheers
Brad

Try booting with the "Last Known Good Configuration". If that doesn't work, and nor does "Safe Mode" you might want to consider booting off your XP CD and using the recovery console to run chkdsk /r /f.

ok, so i put the CD in and pressed boot from CD DRIVE mode in the settings.

It loaded some things and said you can press esc to exit r to repair and another key to install new windows.

I pressed R. and a command prompt looking thing came up.

It said. Which (sector) do you want to boot?

i) C:/Windows
ii) E:/minnit

When i say (i) it asks for an admin password which im like huh cause ive never set one.
when i press (ii) it asks me to input a command
I typed chkdsk /r/f and it took about 10 minutes loading sectors, orphan files, $i30's and everything else

still it says the same thing when i restart

I don't think it'd ask for an Adminitrator's password if there weren't one. You can try just hitting enter but it's probably going to request it again. You want to run the chkdsk on C:/Windows.

Possibly. I'm not sure if it's limited to the default/main Administrator's account or if any Administrator's password will work. It's not like it's costing you anything to try ;).

Zenosincks said:
Possibly. I'm not sure if it's limited to the default/main Administrator's account or if any Administrator's password will work. It's not like it's costing you anything to try ;).

I was just wondering if i did it enough times it might lock me out or something..
Anyway i think i got it, the password was simply password, its running chkdsk /r/f as we speak. Ill reply after its done

Zenosincks said:
:) Good luck.

had quite the opposite :dead:

After Chkdsk /r/f was complete I turned the computer off. Powered it back on and it came up with

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with networking
Safe Mode with cmd prompt.

Last known good configuration

Start Windows Normally

The first time i tried pressing start windows normally, got the same screen.
Next I Did Last known good configuration, got the same screen..

If I do safe mode isnt it just black and white colours? Ive done it before.

Boot into Safe Mode, extract the minidump files and post them here.

You might want to give a repair install a shot.

Zenosincks said:
Boot into Safe Mode, extract the minidump files and post them here.

You might want to give a repair install a shot.

Wont boot into safemode, same blue screen.

I dont feel like I should safe install just yet.. Let me give you the low down on what ive done so far.

1. Insert XP CD
2. Changed F2 Setup so it boots cd drive
3. A blue screen pops up, i) Install new windows ii) [R]epair Recovery Console iii) EXIT
4. I press R
5. Leads me to a command prompt, C:\Windows or E:\minnit
6. I choose Windows and type chkdsk /r/f
7. Once it finishes i type EXIT. It restarts
8. Safe mode, with networking, with cmd prmpt, Last known config, Normal Windows
Ive tried all of them and they all lead to the blue screen

is there ANYTHING at all that i can do

you're looking at it wrong..

its more to do with the registry being corrupted than a hdd/file corruption fault. In any case, unless someone's changed it, windows administrator password by default is nothing - as zeno said, just press enter. You'd get this prompt with windows based on NT (2000, 2003, XP pro etc)

A quick google of your error message leads me to this link. i think it maybe some use for you...

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=307545

This method is short of a windows repair or a reformat/install though, see if it works for you..

N3051M said:
you're looking at it wrong..

its more to do with the registry being corrupted than a hdd/file corruption fault. In any case, unless someone's changed it, windows administrator password by default is nothing - as zeno said, just press enter. You'd get this prompt with windows based on NT (2000, 2003, XP pro etc)

A quick google of your error message leads me to this link. i think it maybe some use for you...

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=307545

This method is short of a windows repair or a reformat/install though, see if it works for you..

I already got into the thing by typing password so whats the point in just pressing enter. Anyway, ill check that link out you sent

i'd figued you're probably beyond the password thing, its just a fyi thing...

anycase, see how you go..

Damn, didnt work again.

Did all the things procedure but still came up with the stupid error message.

What now?

back up your data (just in case) and do a windows repair as linked above.. thats probably the quickest way to solve this problem..

the chances of finding some other usefull material would've been greater if you remembered what specific error codes (and/or other diagnostic information) were associated with it, but thats just 50/50 chance.. Give it a try. if you remember anything else associated with the problem (what you were doing when/before, error codes etc) then maybe something will turn up..

failing the repair, cut your losses and backup your data, go for a format and reinstall.. ghost the image later for faster recovery if you want.

I'm afraid i wouldn't know how to help you further.. i'll leave the floor open for others if they have an idea..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back