TechSpot

Recommendation for a good heatsink?

1. Hey guys my new computer with I7-960 3.2ghz keeps running pass 90C and the computer auto turns off. I've been using the stock heatsink because the weather was cool. Now that its getting warm I need to get an after market heatsink. Any recommendations for a good heatsink? I dont need anything too fancy n pretty. I just want something cheap but effective. Something around 20-50$.

2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,897   +88

3. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Booster Posts: 899   +39

I have a i7-860 (no OC) and I'm using the Hyper 212 Plus, one of red1776's suggestions. Works very well. Idle temp w/ the stock fan was in the low 30's, high 70's to low 80's @ 100% CPU usage. Now, temp is almost 10 deg C lower. Ambient temp 22-24 C.

4. ihaveaname

ihaveaname TS Enthusiast Posts: 127

I bought a Noctua NH-U9B-SE2, which was the smallest, cheapest Noctua heatsink I could find at my IT shop and it was still good for a ~20 C difference when compared to my stock Intel heatsink. Just sayin', Noctua heatsinks work well, albeit at a slightly higher price.

5. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

6. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 TS Rookie Posts: 66

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.