Recommendation on USB Wi-Fi Dongle

Alpha Gamer

Guys, for the next year or so, I'll be limited to wi-fi only on a desktop and I need to acquire a USB Wi-Fi Dongle. The thing is I have zero knowledge on the subject. What kind of specifications should I look for?
So far, I've been told that 802.11n support is desirable (I don't even know what that is).

I chose the Netgear Dongle for a system without a onboard wifi chip - - very satisfied with it.

I chose the Netgear Dongle for a system without a onboard wifi chip - - very satisfied with it.
Thanks a bunch for the recommendation. My main problem is availability, my region is not the best for buying products like this and not surprisingly, this one is not available here.
Would you know what kind of specs make it a good product so that I could compare with the ones offered here?

:grin: Yea, that's the guys alright (sorry for the sarcasm)

google for USB WiFi dongle and post back the make/model numbers and I'll at least review them

:grin: Yea, that's the guys alright (sorry for the sarcasm)

google for USB WiFi dongle and post back the make/model numbers and I'll at least review them
Sorry if I came off as rude, it was not my intention. I was just trying to laugh at my own situation.

I'll list some of the stuff we have here
For clarification: I'll be using a 50mbps internet connection and there will be two walls between me and the router. I'm willing to invest a good money on this because even though this will be temporary, one year is quite a lot. If we were talking about gpus I'd be willing to buy a gtx 970 class product.

-LinkSys Wireless USB Dual-Band - AE2500 (Crazy expensive

- TP-Link N 600 300 Mbps Wireless Dual Band 5 Ghz / 2.4 Ghz USB TL-WDN3200
-11AC D-Link Nano Wireless AC750 Dual-Band USB DWA-171
-TP-Link High Power Wireless USB 150 Mbps
-TL-WN7200ND
TP-Link Wireless USB 300Mbps TL-WN822N

-Mini Multilaser Wireless USB 300 Mbps RE052 (this seems to be a Brazilian brand, I don't know if you'll be able to find any info on this)
-Gothan USB Wireless 300Mbps GWA-201 - 684-9
-USB Encore Wireless 150Mbps ENUWI-1XN42 (seems to be a Brazilian brand as well)
-Nano Gothan USB Wireless 150N GWA-200 - 683-4 (cheapest dude in the hood)

Last edited:
Both the TL-WN7200ND & TL-WDN3200 look good to me. The 7200 will have a stronger signal.

With all USB-xxx converters, be sure to follow the install instructions - - typically you need their drivers from the CD provided to be installed BEFORE you attach the dongle to the PC.

Both the TL-WN7200ND & TL-WDN3200 look good to me. The 7200 will have a stronger signal.

With all USB-xxx converters, be sure to follow the install instructions - - typically you need their drivers from the CD provided to be installed BEFORE you attach the dongle to the PC.
Thanks, the TL-WDN3200 has IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n
while the 7200 covers only IEEE802.11b/g, is that a problem?
The TL-WDN3200 is dual band, how is that an advantage?
Edit: the 7200 does have 802.11n, according to the manufacturer's website

Last edited:
Dual Band allows for the original 2.4Ghz as well as the newer 5Ghz range. While the 5Ghz will have less users and interference, it also has some drawbacks:
  • not all devices have support for this band and your router needs to have Dual Band also
  • the 5G has shorter range and tends to have issues passing thru walls

Dual Band allows for the original 2.4Ghz as well as the newer 5Ghz range. While the 5Ghz will have less users and interference, it also has some drawbacks:
  • not all devices have support for this band and your router needs to have Dual Band also
  • the 5G has shorter range and tends to have issues passing thru walls
Wow, this is good information. One last question though: On the manufacture's website, the
TL-WN7200ND seems to have slightly worse reception sensitivity, even though it has an antenna and is listed under "high power adapters" while the TL-WDN3200 is neither listed under "high power adapters" nor has an antenna. Am I misunderstanding something?
Both specification pages follow:
TL-WN7200ND
TL-WDN3200

Back