Recommendations for a cheap case

By SNGX1275
Jun 6, 2007
  1. I'm going to be building a couple computers in the near future and of course they are going to need a case. I've been looking on newegg and they have about 4 billion cases and its hard to wade through all the crap.

Basically I'm looking for a case that is going to be less than $50. I don't really care if it is flimsy since once these things get to their respective homes they won't be moved anymore. The computers are going to have no more than 2 optical drives and 2 hard drives, so having 12 drive bays isn't a requirement. One computer will be going to an older couple so I imagine they don't need a window with UV reactive components inside, the other computer is going to a couple in their late 20s, so a window wouldn't be bad, but certainly isn't a requirement.

I'll be getting some mid range PSUs for them on my own so again I won't need a case with a PSU, most of them are crap anyway. But if a case is under say $70 and comes with a decent PSU I would consider that.

Right now about the only one that is standing out is the Centuron 5 from Cooler Master. Barring any other suggestions I may get that for the younger couple, but I was hoping for something cheaper for the other.

So, any of you guys using a decent cheap case that you could recommend?
  2. nickslick74

nickslick74 TS Rookie Posts: 575

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Topic Starter Posts: 10,689   +395

If I can bring myself to trust Antec the Sonata II with the 450W SmartPower 2.0 PSU might be worth the $100.

I've just had a 100% failure rate (1 out of 1) with that PSU.
  4. JimShady23

JimShady23 TS Maniac Posts: 373

I buildt a system for a buddy with that exact Antec case. It is really a pain in the behind to work with as it has many screw in rails and mounts for fans and ducts. If you need to work on it again it is a pain. The cooling is good also but it seems to have really quick dust build up so IDK. Plus it has a super gloss finish that attracts finger prints somthing terrible !!

As far as the PSU goes, it seems to be solid, however the rating on newegg says there is a moderate failure rate so take that as you will.

I have also used the case linked below. It is rather functional for a cheaper case, lots of room and good air flow. I have used it about 4 times now and it is remarkably handsome and sturdy. It looks a lot better in person, I was skeptical the first time I ordered it but the quality is amazing, real (solid) aluminum trim and great looking lines. It really looks professional

Plus right now there is free shipping on it..That will save you the price of one case alone !!!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.