Recommendations for a cheap case

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNGX1275

I'm going to be building a couple computers in the near future and of course they are going to need a case. I've been looking on newegg and they have about 4 billion cases and its hard to wade through all the crap.

Basically I'm looking for a case that is going to be less than $50. I don't really care if it is flimsy since once these things get to their respective homes they won't be moved anymore. The computers are going to have no more than 2 optical drives and 2 hard drives, so having 12 drive bays isn't a requirement. One computer will be going to an older couple so I imagine they don't need a window with UV reactive components inside, the other computer is going to a couple in their late 20s, so a window wouldn't be bad, but certainly isn't a requirement.

I'll be getting some mid range PSUs for them on my own so again I won't need a case with a PSU, most of them are crap anyway. But if a case is under say $70 and comes with a decent PSU I would consider that.

Right now about the only one that is standing out is the Centuron 5 from Cooler Master. Barring any other suggestions I may get that for the younger couple, but I was hoping for something cheaper for the other.

So, any of you guys using a decent cheap case that you could recommend?

If I can bring myself to trust Antec the Sonata II with the 450W SmartPower 2.0 PSU might be worth the $100.

I've just had a 100% failure rate (1 out of 1) with that PSU.

Hmm

I buildt a system for a buddy with that exact Antec case. It is really a pain in the behind to work with as it has many screw in rails and mounts for fans and ducts. If you need to work on it again it is a pain. The cooling is good also but it seems to have really quick dust build up so IDK. Plus it has a super gloss finish that attracts finger prints somthing terrible !!

As far as the PSU goes, it seems to be solid, however the rating on newegg says there is a moderate failure rate so take that as you will.

I have also used the case linked below. It is rather functional for a cheaper case, lots of room and good air flow. I have used it about 4 times now and it is remarkably handsome and sturdy. It looks a lot better in person, I was skeptical the first time I ordered it but the quality is amazing, real (solid) aluminum trim and great looking lines. It really looks professional
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119115

Plus right now there is free shipping on it..That will save you the price of one case alone !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back