Recommended PSU Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

joejoejoe

Hi

My previous PSU (ATX-400-JSP - 400W EZCool) has just decided to stop working after i smelt smoke coming from it! ive researched this PSU online and just realised it only costs £12! ive had the pc for 2 years and all has been fine until now.

(Please check my profile for my specs.)

Which PSU would you recommend for my PC? I wish to spend about £30-£40.

Thanks.

Since it appears you will be shopping in the UK or AU, perhaps you could list 12 that are available to you and let TechSpot users guess and which would be the best.
Also give us your computer brand, model, and configuration.

I found this Trust 520w to be a reliable quite psu. Dont know what you have in your pc that needs powering but if you were using a 400w psu for two years this should be more than enough power. I find ebuyer to be around about the best if ordering in the uk. Try this link
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/125724

Wow, a two year warranty on a power supply. That is certainly worth consideration, depending on how the warranty is worded, of course.

I have never heard of Trust, so I can safely assume it is a low-end generic brand. This would be a far better choice for a slightly lower price. This is also a decent alternative to the Corsair, although the latter would be better.

How does being in Dubai give you knowledge about suppliers in the UK? It turns out my computer friends in Bristol think highly of the Trust/eTrust lines.

yeh ive heard amny people bangin on about corsair. That was one brand that i was intending on purchasing. I run mainly DJ programs and other programs such as photoshop 3D Max Etc. My PC is ASUS. It runs on WINDOWS XP PRO VERSION 2002 SERVICE PACK 1.

I have cousins in the UK with whom I keep in touch regularly. Two are as geeky as me when it comes to computers. None have advised a Trust PSU (or an Arctic Power unit, which is also a generic ultra-cheap brand) over a similarly-priced Corsair or Antec with a greater warranty coverage and a known OEM. Neither would I, nor would you for that matter, as far as I have seen.

The trust psu in my pc works fine and is'nt an ultra cheap bottom of the pile psu. Although its not as well a known brand as corsair. The advantage of the Trust is you get a little bit more for your money. Saying that I've only ever had good advice from Rage, he does know what he's talking about. Although you may want to give a bit more information as whats inside your Pc e.g graphics cards,cpu,optical drives, hard drives etc to work out the power required to run the machine.

The quality of a PSU depends on the OEM and, of course, the actual parts inside it. The real test of a PSU comes when you load any one rail to at least 80% of its total rated power output. Cheap PSUs cannot handle this for more than a day or two and will go belly-up soon. Good-quality ones have capacitors with much greater tolerances and can easily handle the extra load.

I never said Trust is an ultra-cheap brand (unlike Arctic Power), it is just a low-end brand that is fine for a general-use PC. For a gaming or graphics design build, it is not a good choice. I assumed this was the case, (since PSUs rarely fry until pushed or unless they are extremely old) and based my recommendation on that.

Sorry guys, i had the impression that u could see my specs on my profile. Never mind here they are,

SPEC:
Intel(R) core (TM)2 cpu 6300 @ 1.86GHz
ASUS P5VD2-MX/P5V-VM DH series Motherboard
1.00 GB of RAM
ATI Original Radeon2006 X1300 256MB PCIE All In Wonder
250GB HARD DRIVE
DVD R/RW
WINDOWS XP PRO VERSION 2002 SERVICE PACK 1

This is what i have been using for the past 2 years....

http://www.lightcomputers.com/product.asp?code=CA3500

this is what im looking to purchase.....

http://www.shinytech.co.uk/product/P400W-ATX-CORSAIR.htm

USB not working!

ok so, ive decided not to buy the corsair but to go with the EZcool PSU as i previously had, due to costs.

I have installed the PSU correctly however the usb ports from my PC do not work at all any more! The PC runs fine with the PSU.

I tried plugging my ipod via USB and the ipod just shuts off completely and i cant get it back on unless i disconnect from the PC altogether. The PC does not read the ipod or any USB for that matter.

Can you advise why this may be?

Regards.

The front ones. they were working fine on the old PSU.

Just tried a couple USB slots on the back of the PC and they dont recognise my ipod. The ipod does not switch off here though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back