Recording a NTSC Video onto a PAL Tape. Workable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Recently, I have tried to record a a live video using a NTSC Camera onto a PAL tape. Then, I tried to play this PAL tape in a NTSC video player. Apparently, the video (including the audio) that I have got from this recording during the playback was in quite a clear condition.

I am puzzled..!! :confused:

From what I understand, NTSC video player cannot play PAL video, and PAL video player cannot play a NTSC video. Here come the questions:

1. But why is it that in this case, I am able to play a PAL tape in a NTSC video player, when the tape was recorded with NTSC signal on it?

2. Why is it that when NTSC and PAL are incompatible in the first place is able to gel so well in this case?

3. Am I right to say the no matter the tape is a PAL or a NTSC, they are actually the same? Are these tapes universal?

Thanks for your time guys. I really need to know this urgently because currently I have run out of NTSC tape, and I am trying out using PAL tapes to record my NTSC signal. ;)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Tape is not Pal or NTSC, it is the equipment that uses one or the other and that`s why your camera tape works as expected.

3. Am I right to say the no matter the tape is a PAL or a NTSC, they are actually the same? Are these tapes universal?

Yes. Tape is recorded in either PAL or NTSC, but it`s the type of equipment that decides which.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the reply.

The thing is I am currently using Sony Hi-8mm tape, and I have a tape that is labelled Hi8 PAL and another labelled Hi8 NTSC.

Any idea why must they confuse the consumer by labelling these tapes as PAL or NTSC when all the tapes are the same?

So am I right to say that be it the tape is labelled PAL or NTSC, it will only be one of the two type, depending on whether the recorder is of PAL or NTSC?

Thanks again.

I`ve never heard of tape that is specific to either Pal or NTSC. All I can suggest is you try it and see if it works.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back