TechSpot

Recording music from a laptop

By Ididmyc600
Dec 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. As a part time DJ, i spend a lot of time playing the same music in the same order, so i was thinking what if i could just sit down and record the tracks that i play directly into one big MP3 and then it would save me having to load and cue each track.

I use a program called ClubDJ Pro3, its a twin deck system with a predefined playlist, i can usually just load a playlist and tell it to cross fade during the last "X" seconds of the song (X being a set time between 3 and 10 seconds).

However i find some songs have an extended silence at the end that can (when i first played them) mess up the auto cross fade facility and as anyone will tell you, silence is deadly when your doing DJ'ing.

So is there a program i can use to either record directly from my program or use another PC or laptop to record onto, i assume i would use the earphone out on one to the Line In socket on the other PC/Laptop and then record onto that.

It would be good as it then means i can use different mixes of my own.

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,476   +329

you might use WavePad Sound Editor to remove the trailing silence

3. Pink

Pink TS Enthusiast Posts: 127

Using pre mixed tracks for your gigs will not look well if you're caught.

But you can use a variety of software, such as MixMeister fusion, Mixmeister pro, Wavelab, studio one, nuendo, or any sound editing software really...

Good luck

4. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,251

err not quite the replies i was looking for, but thanks anyway

@JoBeard: i have about 18000 MP3's its not possible to edit them all to remove any extra silence.

@Pink: I think you missed what i wanted, its not about using premixed tracks and getting caught, most dont care what the Dj plays as long as its continuous and good quality, the request was simply asking if there is any good quality software that can capture the audio played through the sound card, or can be run in windows to record an input through the line in socket.

thanks

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,476   +329

OUCH! Why did it take so long to look for a solution? Surely you don't expect some automation to trim the trailing silence for you?

6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,657   +323

Well if he did there is AudioSlicer for OS X (or linux/bsd from source?). I briefly searched for something for Windows and didn't find a solution as good as AudioSlicer. AudioGrabber may do it, but it looks like it would re-encode (leading to quality degradation). AudioSlicer simply removes without re-encoding.

7. Pink

Pink TS Enthusiast Posts: 127

Use your soundcard's software to record. or, get some audio software such as wavelab, and set the recording i/o to receive audio from your sound card. it'll record it as it records from a mic.

I dunno where you're playing, but sounds like a great place. I played in one club once, where they were douches and didnt wanna pay me, i used a premixed set i had. Didn't end up well

8. Buckshot420

Buckshot420 TS Enthusiast Posts: 467

you could always make a mix cd on wavelab or use a DAW and use some automation on the tracks.

9. tweakboy

tweakboy TS Maniac Posts: 518

Use the industry standard as a free trial. Sony Sound Forge 10 ..... gl

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.