Recurring BSODs since BIOS update

John1113

I updated my computer's BIOS a few days ago. After the update, my computer would turn on but the monitor would remain off/blank. I panicked and reset the CMOS by taking the battery out for a min or two and putting it back in. Got it to boot after a few more restarts and I went online and realized I downloaded the bios upgrade for version 1.0 of my motherboard, when I have version 1.1. I proceeded to download the correct update, and updated my BIOS with that file. Same thing happened. This time I realized the problem was that I had 2 diff speed ram sticks installed, and it would only boot with 1 of the types in. I guess I had the correct version all along (1.1 and 1.0 used the same file I guess).

Anyway, ever since then I've been getting BSODs a lot. They usually happen shortly after booting up for the first time after the computer's been off for a few hours. I almost always get one after about 5minutes of playing World of Warcraft, but after a reboot I can play for hours without getting another one. I downloaded and ran several memory tests, including Windows Memory Diagnostics and Memtest 86+ (ran Memtest for about 9 hours, no problems). My computer is overclocked, so I also tried running Prime95. The computer used to be stable, but now I get errors in Prime95 each time I run it. Sometimes I get fatal hardware errors (rounding?), sometimes the program just freezes with a black screen, and other times I get a BSOD. I'm pretty sure it's not caused by overheating, since my cpu doesn't ever go above 61 degrees C during prime95, and it's usually between 45 and 50 degrees C during the tests. I've got a Corsair liquid cooling system in my pc.

Sorry for massive Wall-of-text, here is the latest BSOD info. Happened after a fresh install of Windows 7 during my first Prime95 re-test (small fft).

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA80078D7038
BCP3: 00000000B2000018
BCP4: 0000000002000E0F
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

C:\Windows\Minidump\120310-11325-01.dmp
C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-16364-0.sysdata.xml

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! These BSODs are really scaring me. I've never had a single BSOD when I ran Windows XP on this system for 11 months. I just went to Windows 7 2 weeks ago. I'm afraid I really messed something up by updating my BIOS tho, since everything was running fine until then.

System Info (if it helps):
  • E8600 @ 4.2ghz (420x10)
  • G. Skill PC2-6400 and PC2-8800 (Pi series - 4gb of each type)
  • Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 motherboard
  • ATI Radeon 5850 XFX Black Edition (stock)

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    30 KB · Views: 2
Your error is 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either error code give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any. Your dump simply cited hardware as the issue and nothing more definitive.

Here are some of the causes that were determined to be the source o 0x124/0x9C errors from posters here and abroad: NIC, DVD/CD drives, dust build up around the CPU that caused overheating of said CPU, bulging capacitors hidden by heatsink, video card, psu, motherboard, and external harddrive connected by USB.

* I note you have overclocked hardware. Set all overclocked pieces back to spec settings and tell us if you get BSODs.

Jeez...maybe I'll just get a new motherboard. :/

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I will try running Prime95 again overnight @ stock settings and see what happens, although I'm pretty sure I tried running at stock yesterday for a few hours and I believe I still got an error. I'll post back in the morning and tell you what happens.

BTW, these BSODs are scaring me, but they aren't really hindering my ability to use my computer. I play Warcraft a lot, and I always seem to get a BSOD shortly after starting the game up for the first time each session. After a reboot though, I'm able to play for literally like 5 hours in a row without any more errors. Does this mean the problem isn't too serious (even if my system remains overclocked)? Prime95 is basically the only overclock-testing program that shows an error each time. I've run OCCT and several other programs like IntelBurn test (which runs my cpu a lot hotter), and they always come out fine.

EDIT: Since my problems started with an update to my BIOS, would it be worth trying to go back to the previous BIOS version I had for 11 months while my computer was 100% stable? Or should I just leave the BIOS alone from now on?

Have you tried playing WoW with your system at stock settings? Did you get the same issues?

Have you tried playing WoW with your system at stock settings? Did you get the same issues?

I will try that either a little later tonight or tomorrow morning. That is, if you'll still be around to help me then. This is my first time posting in one of these tech-support forums, I'm not sure how all this works exactly. :x

I just re-installed Windows 7 for the first time since the BIOS update, and I was actually able to play WOW for about an hour just a little while ago without crashing (while overclocked still). That's when I decided to try Prime95 again in hopes that my BSOD problems were solved, but then I crashed shortly after that. I will try playing for a bit more on stock settings to see if anything happens.

Go with the flow. :D

Seriously, I or someone else will be along to help you as best that we can. keep in mind all of us are volunteers so life does call us to other things as well but I'll be checking in tomorrow.

It is late here so I am going to sign off. Good night.

Ok, I set my computer back to 3.33ghz (330x10, ram at 330 as well) for some stress testing. So far my comp passed the OCCT test (1hr), but when I try and run OCCT's "Linpack" test, it says error detected after 1second and I get a crash report from Windows (although the program doesnt stop working, only the test stops). I forgot to copy the error info from the box that popped up but I did get the files it told me to refer to. I have included them in "Linpack.zip".

After the OCCT Linpack test, I tried running IntelBurnTest, since I guess that's also a Linpack test. I am able to run it on "standard" stress level, but once I go to maximum (both 'maximum' tests use all available memory, and standard only used a smaller set amount), I get the same results as with OCCT's Linpack. Windows reported an error after 1 second with app crash data, but the program didn't actually crash. Here is what the report said (no files for this one):

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: linpack64.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4babeef4
Fault Module Name: linpack64.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4babeef4
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000002cfe74
Additional Information 1: 4c8a
Additional Information 2: 4c8ac208a0e31c0b29868164771db5d1
Additional Information 3: 23fb
Additional Information 4: 23fb00d4d38023ad5fc616646248a7d0

Attachments

• Linpack.zip
    33.9 KB · Views: 1
Ok, I've been running Prime95 for about 6 hours now at stock speed (3.33ghz) with the same test that's been failing for me while overclocked (4-4.2ghz). So far, so good. No errors.

If I was getting hardware fatal errors while overclocked running Prime, and it was NOT due to overheating (I constantly watch the temps with real temp. 60 is as high as it gets. Usually 50-55), does that mean it's most likely due to being under-powered? Should I try raising the Vcore by a tad?

Another BSOD while OC'd:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA80078BB038
BCP3: 00000000B2000000
BCP4: 0000000000000014
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\120410-11450-01.dmp
C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-16567-0.sysdata.xml

Attachments

• Minidump2.zip
    29.1 KB · Views: 0
As per your minidump the driver cited as the cause of your issue is linpack_xeon64.exe.

As stated earlier 0x124 errors can be caused by overclocking. To be upfront I don't overclock so I don't want to give advice when I don't have a working knowledge to do so. However, I have read enough posts on many sites to understand that incremental changes in voltage can bring stability in certain situations. I am also familiar with Prime 95 and OCCT.

Here is a suggestion, try running your system with just the 4 gigs of G. Skill PC2-6400 and then try it with just 4 gigs of the PC2-8800. Is stability gained?

What happens when you run OCCT and Prime 95 with just 4 gigs installed?

Hmm.. Ok, I let the computer chill for about 10 hours since I've been stressing it a lot lately. I turned it on again this morning and right away I noticed the cpu temp was over 90 degrees C. I instantly shut it down (not before I got a blue screen), and took out the 8800 ram. I rebooted at the same clock speed (420x10) with just the 4gigs of 6400 ram and everything was fine. I ran OCCT's Linpack test on max just to see if it would crash again. It didn't crash, and I let it run for about 5minutes before stopping it. I started up World of Warcraft, and I've been playing it now for about 3 hours w/o any faults. I'm going to run Prime95 for a few hours once I log off WoW. I'll update with what happens.

Back