Red Hat 5.2 Info.

By 98-fxdl
Feb 26, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi

I am looking for any info. on installing Red Hat 5.2 for the first time on my old box. It has Win98 SE on it at this time but I would like to switch OS on that computer to use as a learning system PC.

Good Day From 98-fxdl
  2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

The instructions that I made here should still be valid, however there will be no graphical interface for the installation, and you must do it in a text based installation mode. There is a graphical interface of sorts, in that there are menus, etc but its similar to the kind of thing you get in a BIOS, not like a Windows installer as in windiws 98, 2000, etc.

If possible, try to obtain a more up to date version of red hat. you can download the .iso files for free from a number of locations.
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

RedHat 5.2 is a really out-of-date thing and unless the subject for that learning system is ancient history you should really consider at least RedHat 6.x. 7.x would be a reasonable version to use. RH8 might be already too much for an older computer.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.