Redmond celebrates Microsoft Security Essentials' birthday

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

It's been a whole year since Microsoft released its first truly competent antivirus, and the company is celebrating its anniversary by sharing a number of user statistics and other noteworthy highlights. Since its 2009 debut, Microsoft Security Essentials has been installed on 31 million computers -- 27 million of which reported infections to the Microsoft Malware Protection Center (MMPC).

MSE's largest install base is in the US, while Brazil, Japan, the UK, Germany, France, Canada, China, Italy, the Netherlands, and Russia fill out the top ten non-US regions using the antivirus, which is available in 27 languages and 74 countries. "Language shouldn't be a barrier to good security. Money is no problem, either -- Microsoft Security Essentials is available at no cost," Microsoft said.

Over two million machines were attacked in the US over the last year, while China (eighth largest user base) reported 693,347 infections. Brazil followed with 586,888 attacks, the UK saw 212,875, and the rest reported well under 200,000. In all, 400 million threats were reported and customers removed 366 million of them. Microsoft dissects the threat families in the chart at the bottom of this page.

Microsoft recently opened its arms to small business users. Starting next month, office settings of up to 10 computers will be allowed run MSE free of charge. Also, HP will be shipping MSE preinstalled on its new Envy 14 notebook series (which we're in the middle of reviewing, by the way). The next version of Microsoft Security Essentials is currently in beta and it should arrive sometime early next year.

Permalink to story.

I like MSE, but prefer AVAST! as of late. That's great news for small businesses and Envys. I realize why they won't do it, but I'd love it if they would replace all trial versions of AV for this with OEMs. I get tired of dealing with viruses because of expired trials...

It scans fast, and doesn't take up all my CPU cycles. It doesn't annoy me every week about updates. I approve. High-five Microsoft!

Guest said:
It's free and it works.
and works flawless /unless you ignore/allow the perk/

got some bad exp when installing new iomega NAS storage
i believe they have a rootkit in the software :(

I'm a big fan of MSE. Prior to MSE I hadn't really ran an AV on any of my PCs since about 2003. MSE is light and doesn't bother me.

I prefer Avast. Couldn't get MSE to work on one old hp machine. It simply stalls partially thru. It is also very determined to delete no matter what. Too bossy for false positives.

I have been using MSE since it started out as Live One Care (paid for). I've had great luck with it. It doesn't hog resources and or bug you to death. Had several customer computers that Norton, McAfee, Avast and several others could not disinfect. MSE did, I love it and fully recommend it. If it cost I'd still use it.

I have tried all the major and several minor AV suites and MSE is simply the best. It just works, doesn't bug me and if it finds something clearly explains what the problem is and suggests the action to take. I'm looking forward to the new version that introduces inbound network scanning.

hmm.. MSE failed the VB100 test in April, looks like they passed in August though.
I'll hold out and see if they pass again before trying them out.
It'd be really nice if www.virus.gr ran another test to see where MSE's detection rates are there as well.

Back