Redmond celebrates Microsoft Security Essentials' birthday

By Matthew
Sep 30, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. It's been a whole year since Microsoft released its first truly competent antivirus, and the company is celebrating its anniversary by sharing a number of user statistics and other noteworthy highlights. Since its 2009 debut, Microsoft Security Essentials has been installed on 31 million computers -- 27 million of which reported infections to the Microsoft Malware Protection Center (MMPC).

Read the whole story
  2. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TechSpot Maniac Posts: 481   +8

I like MSE, but prefer AVAST! as of late. That's great news for small businesses and Envys. I realize why they won't do it, but I'd love it if they would replace all trial versions of AV for this with OEMs. I get tired of dealing with viruses because of expired trials...
  3. It's free and it works.
  4. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 961   +84

It scans fast, and doesn't take up all my CPU cycles. It doesn't annoy me every week about updates. I approve. High-five Microsoft!
  5. Gars

Gars TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 228

and works flawless /unless you ignore/allow the perk/

got some bad exp when installing new iomega NAS storage
    i believe they have a rootkit in the software :(
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,479   +292

I'm a big fan of MSE. Prior to MSE I hadn't really ran an AV on any of my PCs since about 2003. MSE is light and doesn't bother me.
  7. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

I think im gonna give this a try. :)
  8. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 842   +20

I prefer Avast. Couldn't get MSE to work on one old hp machine. It simply stalls partially thru. It is also very determined to delete no matter what. Too bossy for false positives.
  9. I have been using MSE since it started out as Live One Care (paid for). I've had great luck with it. It doesn't hog resources and or bug you to death. Had several customer computers that Norton, McAfee, Avast and several others could not disinfect. MSE did, I love it and fully recommend it. If it cost I'd still use it.
  10. LightHeart

LightHeart Newcomer, in training Posts: 155

I have tried all the major and several minor AV suites and MSE is simply the best. It just works, doesn't bug me and if it finds something clearly explains what the problem is and suggests the action to take. I'm looking forward to the new version that introduces inbound network scanning.
  11. Sista

Sista Newcomer, in training

I love this AV, it just works no nagging no nothing. Big thumbs up for this one.

12. ddg4005

ddg4005 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 240   +23

I'm running the beta for the new version on 3 computers and it's as stable as the first.
  13. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 829

hmm.. MSE failed the VB100 test in April, looks like they passed in August though.
    I'll hold out and see if they pass again before trying them out.
    It'd be really nice if www.virus.gr ran another test to see where MSE's detection rates are there as well.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.