Reformatting and changing from SP2 to 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my computer is going really slowly, and crashing constantly, and i thought it would be a good idea to reformat and reinstall windows XP. However, i'm new to this and I put in the CD with service pack 2 and went through some stuff and it deleted a whole heap of stuff and started copying some files across, but it will always stop copying some files and it says it can't find them... So I took the CD out and it has a massive scratch around the outside face of it.

So I figured I would just borrow a friends CD except it says '2002 edition' instead of 'includes service pack 2'. Is there anyway I can install this version instead, and are there any drawbacks to doing so.

Sorry for all the writing, but heres some additional info: after doing all that, I went to some forums and found out how to actually reformat my computer, and so I did some C: /fs:ntfs thing and it said it couldn't find the auto reformat file. Oh, a few files have also been deleted, such as the fact I can't access internet explorer anymore. Thanks for any help possible, sorry for writing so much...

Depends partly on the size of your hard drive. 2002 will not work on drives larger than 132 GB, and SP2 will. Otherwise, it could work IF it will accept the product ID you have.
Have you attempted to use one of the devices that repair discs by buffing down the scratched area? They are available at Wal-Mart, Best Buy and computer stores. Do not exceed the instructions that come with the device.
But since it was crashing constantly, the problem may be elsewhere. What is the brand and model of computer or motherboard, as well as the hard drive. Are these discs Windows recovery discs, OEM versions? What exactly are the versions of the Windows discs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back