Regards in formatting my OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Guy

Now I wasn't sure whether this goes here or the storage forum but I guess either one would be fine...

Anyway, so my XP has been here since Early 03 - yeah... I know, that's just bad. It's extremely laggy nowadays & hangs for a while during bootup. Just recently Nero began messing up & rather than putting the time & effort into fixing it I FINALLY decided to start over with a clean-slate.

Now for the question - the HD I want to format has aprox. 100 / 298 GB free - I do not want to lose the existing data on the HD, if I were to "DELETE" the partition with the XP disc, would it erase my data or flag them all for deletion? OR will they still be there after I've reinstalled XP - no data recovering necessary?

If you delete the partition, you effectively are discarding (deleting) the data.

You can try to make a new partition with the free space with a tool like partition magic (Fdisk might work too) - or backup the important data somewhere else BEFORE you delete the partition.

Yeah I figured, thanks. I'm doing that right now. Except I need at least 150GB saved so after I'm done filling up the 80GB HD I'm going to resize them to increase more room for backing up until all 150 is done... D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back