Reinstalling Windows with USB keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperCheetah

Ok, I have this problem. The serial ports in my motherboard do not work well at all, and I can't seem to get my serial keyboard to work in them. So, on that note, how do I go about installing Windows XP Pro without a serial keyboard or mouse. It asks me to press any key to enter into the boot CD sequence, but it only boots regularly when I try to press any of the USB keyboard keys. I think once I get into the CD boot I can use my USB keyboard, but it's getting into the CD boot that's causing me problems. Does anyone know a workaround to this problem??? Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Come on guys, I would really appreciate any help. I'm getting random blue screens with different messages and I don't know the cause so I would rather just reformat, but I can't because of this problem. Does anyone have a quick solution???

This is a pretty interesting inquiry. Isn't WinXP the first windows os to allow you to use usb in setup? Maybe it would be easier to install it with a $5 ps2 keyboard.

As I referred to earlier a PS/2 keyboard will not work because of the faulty motherboard serial connection so that isn't really an option. Thanks for the heads up though. I'l have to try the boot floppies and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions though, they are really helpful. Keep them coming!!!

The serial ports is the only hardware defect I've been able to find so far. It seems that everything else works fine. Still, I'm not too worried about them as I have an USB keyboard and mouse. I can do everything but boot to the CD in the bios screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back