TechSpot

reinstalling winodws xp

By dreux456
May 22, 2007
  1. I tried to install linux in my dell desktop as a dual boot but ended up losing windows xp, which I didn't want to happen?! obviously I'm a noob at this stuff. I don't mind linux but it turns out that I need windows xp for certain outside applications. my question is can I add another harddrive and reinstall windows with the restore cd that dell sent me, or do I need to reinstall it to the orignal harddrive? and if I do that what happens to linux, and what other hazards should I be concerned with. thanks in advance.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

It will probably take a reformat.
    Set your two partitions. Install Windows with the Dell disk.
    Then add Linux.
    The Full Version of Windows XP will allow you to do all this easily. I am not sure Dell is interested in helping you.

3. dreux456

dreux456 TS Rookie Topic Starter

update on your suggestions

thanks for your help, raybay, it's much appreciated. I managed to reinstall winodw xp but had a little trouble with the partition issue. evidently the linux install created four partitions. I tried installing winodws xp in a reformatted partition but got the message "Invalid Partition Table", whereupon everything stopped and I had to shut down the computer and start over, more than once. I finally got it to work only after I reformatted the entire drive, which only gave me one partition, which is C. now I have windows xp but not linux which is fine for now. I'll work on the partition issue later. thanks again.

4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

When you can, give Acronis the contract. It will work without another reformat, easily and without risk.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.