Relation between fps and refresh rate

ViperCDX

Hi, can anyone explain if there is any relation between fps and refresh rate of a monitor?

Refresh rate is the number of times your monitor can refresh the screen per second, and FPS is how many frames per second your PC is outputting.

It means that if your monitor is 60hz, it can display up to 60 FPS, and not above. But will not affect the systems performance directly, and just means that if your system is outputting 67 fps, then your monitor will not be able to show all those frames, and you will need to turn Vsync on in your games.

I thought so, but how come I get around 300 fps in fifa.13 and around 110 fps in dishonored?

Wow, you must have the settings turned down very low to get those types of fps. Your PC may be outputting 110 fps, and thinks that it is displaying that, but what you see is limited to the refresh rate of your monitor. How good the game looks will actually get worse once you start to go over the limit of your monitor.

No, everything is maxed!
Ok, so even though fraps show more than 60 , my Pc displays only 60 fps?

Yes that is correct, IF your monitor is, in fact, a 60 hz panel. It may be higher or lower. Google your model and you can find out.

Also, I could only imagine you getting 300 fps in Fifa if you were on a menu screen of some sort.

No, in the game :)
Ok, I will try to upload a screenshot showing the game and the fps!
Btw, what's ur gpu and how much do u get?

Well, I have a gtx 670, but I have neither of those games. For comparison, in Farcry 3 I get around 50 fps on ultra with 4x MSAA.

Ohh
Ok,I will check and say what settings I use but I get 55-60 fps
Btw,u use the preset ultra option?

Fifa 13 is a direct x 9 game and isnt that demanding. It wouldnt suprise me if you get >100 FPS, but 300 seems to be pushing it. I dont even think the engine supports that many frames. I am 99% positive most games have a FPS cap at like 240 (for 240Hz monitors).

Yeah that's what I thought. I mean, 300fps is like, solitaire speed!

For Far Cry 3, I just wack everything up to maximum, except for MSAA, which is on 4x.

No one has said anything about resolution yet... I can see 300 fps in things with a single gpu if you're running ta 1600x900 or the like.

LukeDJ,JC713,@LNCPapa- Sorry bros,but I really play the game at 1080p and all maxed out at over 300 fps.
please refer to the attachment I have provided and maybe u will understand fifa13 2013-04-12 17-27-52-71.jpg fifa13 2013-04-12 17-28-17-11.jpg

Yeah - I assumed that game was a little rougher on a machine as well but I've never actually played or even seen it being played. Same goes for Dishonored - I've only seen screenshots.

Idk why people dont use v-sync me personally its on on every game since I dont wonna strain the gfx card extra then it rly needs to just my thought on it

Idk why people dont use v-sync me personally its on on every game since I dont wonna strain the gfx card extra then it rly needs to just my thought on it
Because people like me dont have 680s. I have to turn off V-sync to get decent frame rates.

I dont even have a 660 ti I have the gtx 660 :D but since I dont have a 1080p monitor its overkill for the 768 p lol but I still like the quality and gameplay I get so a 660 is like a 680 for my monitor lawl

Back