Remedy will only fix some of Quantum Break's major issues on PC

Scorpus

Staff member

Quantum Break is the latest PC game to suffer from major technical issues at launch. It's pretty clear that Remedy Entertainment didn't put as much effort into the PC port as they should have, and only now is the developer willing to address some of its problems.

One of the most frustrating issues with Quantum Break is related to frame pacing, which causes massive amounts of stuttering during gameplay. Remedy says they've discovered a "major rounding error introduced into our refresh rate predictions on shipping" that can be attributed to the issues, and this will be resolved in a future update.

As for performance issues and crashes, Remedy has been working with AMD and Nvidia to ensure the experience on PC is up to scratch. The latest drivers from both companies should help somewhat in this regard, although the developer is still working on addressing some non-driver-related issues such as slow performance after long gaming sessions, and crashes on launch.

Remedy will also be addressing some major oversights in the PC version of the game, such as no option to quit the game from within the menus, and a serious lack of image quality options. The developer also wants to unlock the frame rate of the game, although currently that's not possible to restrictions on UWP apps that will be lifted by Microsoft in May.

However there are some major issues with the PC port of Quantum Break that Remedy won't be fixing. There will never be any multi-GPU support for the game as "the work needed to support multiple GPUs would have been significant" due to the game engine's architecture. This will come as a disappointment to those attempting to play at ultra high resolutions, which typically require powerful multi-GPU setups.

Remedy also won't be fixing critical issues with the game's render resolution. For some bizarre reason, the Windows 10 port uses the same "reconstruction method" as the Xbox One version, where game assets are rendered at 2/3rds the native resolution, passed through 4xMSAA, and then upscaled. On the low-power Xbox One these techniques help improve performance, but on PC they are unnecessary and result in poor visual quality.

From Remedy's statements on their forums, they seem pretty convinced that this is the best rendering method for PC, despite most PC gamers thinking otherwise. It's disappointing to see that they won't be fixing this issue, although gamers can expect to see other issues resolved over the coming months

Permalink to story.

"From Remedy's statements on their forums, they seem pretty convinced that this is the best rendering method for PC"

Funny I'm pretty convinced these developers have no sense of what a PC can do despite having developed the entire game on one. They must be complete morons to think PC users will buy any of the BS they're shoveling, then they also admit it would take too much time to optimize for multi GPU, so obviously they're not only incompetent but lazy schmucks. Awesome, avoiding this game. Good luck with future PC titles, your dead to me and now most PC gamers.

"From Remedy's statements on their forums, they seem pretty convinced that this is the best rendering method for PC, despite most PC gamers thinking otherwise."

This right here NO SALE!

if I wanted to play it rendered for an Xbox I would be playing it on a Xbox.

Don't give me that rubbish on PC.

Will not touch this one even on a steam sale!

It seems they were forced to port the game by MS. It's obvious Remedy had no intention of doing so or they'd have outsourced the port to give it the attention it deserved.

It seems they were forced to port the game by MS. It's obvious Remedy had no intention of doing so or they'd have outsourced the port to give it the attention it deserved.
Completely agree with you on this. Microsoft really sees this as an opportunity (to make more money), but sadly, some developers are too lazy to consider the PC as a viable platform...

Shame microsoft bought them and ruined them.I really believe they wan't to make better pc versions and work purely on pc but when someone promises money for the rest of your life for exclusivity it's hard to resist. Microsoft destroys every game company it touches and they don't do much better on other fronts (uwp, phones, consoles...). Hope someone makes os that has games so I can stop using windows.

Will not touch this one even on a steam sale!

You don't have to worry about that, since MS has restricted its sale only to the windows store, and for Win 10 users only. It will likely never be on Steam.

As usual, MS makes promises regarding 'changing their ways' re: PC gaming, and then fails to follow through or show even the slightest concern for PC gamers.

If they cared about the PC port of this game, they wouldn't limit it to a store that does maybe 1% of Steam's sales for games, nor limit it to an OS that has less than 50% of the user base. It's only on PC to use as marketing for Xbox 1.

I actually bought this game, and enjoyed playing for the story, but I could not deal with the graphical issues of the game. The constant stuttering and the fuzziness from the resolution upscale just took away from what the game could be on pc. Returned it the next day and was pleasantly surprised at how easily microsoft refunded my money. Too bad, I was pretty excited for this game.

It must be tough to work on certain teams at Microsoft..walking around all day with a PC held up to the side of your head, pretending its a phone.

"For some bizarre reason, the Windows 10 port uses the same "reconstruction method" as the Xbox One version, where game assets are rendered at 2/3rds the native resolution, passed through 4xMSAA, and then upscaled."
And this is why smart people have stopped pre-ordering...

It must be tough to work on certain teams at Microsoft..walking around all day with a PC held up to the side of your head, pretending its a phone.
It's even harder listening to MS's "unified vision" consisting of sitting in front of a desktop PC to do serious work whilst pretending it's a 24-32" tablet.

Back