TechSpot

Remember Name

By Trafficflow
Oct 25, 2009
  1. I hooked up a Dell Dimension 3000 for grandaughter. She is only 6 and has a hard time with signing in. How do you turn on when you type it finish the word? I think this would help. Thanks

2. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,020

I'm trying to understand your question. I think you want to bypass the password prompt. You'll probably just need to create an account without a password, or remove it from existing account. Before we go any further, please tell us what operating system you're using. :)

3. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

I think you are asking about "autofill" where the computer tries to complete certain words??

Though logon passwords can't be "autofill'ed". HOWEVER, you can set the computer to auto logon to a specific user id. Is that what you want to do???

4. Trafficflow

Trafficflow TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 91

LookinAround you have it. I guess it is called autofill. When she types in the username or what else she uses it will complete after one letter is put in like business use?

5. Trafficflow

LookinAround you have it. I guess it is called autofill. When she types in the username or what else she uses it will complete after one letter is put in like business use?

6. LookinAround

Yes. Autofill can work for website logons (and some tools even remember/fill in password for you) but

1) If OP is talking about Windows logon, that cannot be "auto-filled"
    2) However, the computer might be set to automatically logon to a specific userid (if that's what they mean)

7. Trafficflow

Can you tell me where the autofill is on XP ? Thanks

8. Trafficflow

I found it. Thanks again and my granddaughter will thank you also

9. LookinAround

you beat me to the punch.. tho i was going to correct a few things (tell me if you found otherwise)

1. I guess it's actually called "autocomplete" (vs. autofill)
    2. Looks like the feature was in IE 7 but not to be found in IE 8
    3. However not to confuse "autocomplete" with saved passwords (which i think is what you're really after?
    4. Re: Saving passwords, i've found them much easier to control (and correct upon errors) using Firefox. Under Tools->Options->Security, click Saved Passwords and Show Passwords and you can see each entry and selectively delete if incorrect logon entries had been saved

10. Trafficflow

I changed the settings on the computer remotely and I am waiting for feedback. It is actually for the username that she has the problem with. I have windows 7 and it works good. XP not so well. Is there anything else out there for this issue?

11. LookinAround

12. Trafficflow

I turned on the autocomplete and it doesnot really do a whole lot. To be clear I am trying to make it complete the websiteas you are typing. I cleaned the history to start off fresh. Thanks for the help.

13. LookinAround

Sorry. I wasn't sure. Last time i thought you were referring to Windows logon but i understand you need userid/password for web site logons?

Both IE and Firefox allow you to save logons for most websites
    Firefox
    > Click Tools->Security->Remember Passwords for sites
    > Note you can click Saved Passwords button anytime to delete the info as well (if a bad user/password gets saved)
    > Note you should help her the first time for each new web site as FF will prompt the first time at the website if it should save the password or not

IE
    Here's the info from IE 8 help

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.