Remote desktop connection problem

Mark Fuller

I have an Hp Pavilion G7 and it is remotely connected to my wife's HP desktop. I have windows 7 and she has xp pro. whenever I am at home I connect to her computer and view my home surveillance cameras but when I go to a different location it will not allow me to connect. also I can connect to my work remote computer at any location.

Sounds like a concept issue.

Remote Desktop needs the firewall to enable inbound port 3389 as a default. That will allow ANY pc connected to your router to use RD.

However, for some system outside your LAN (eg your work environment accessing one of the home PCs), the router must forward port 3389 explicitly to the LAN address of the target machine.

I am sure you did this long ago and just forgot about it, so log into your router and verify there is a port forward listed there.

Now the bad news is you can only PF to one machine and to see another, the router config needs to be changed.

It might be possible to enable UPnP in the router to enable an auto-config, but that would take some "inside knowledge" of how the lan was configured.

You can use the above post to forward port 3390 (for example) to another LAN address. Use regedit to change the default port of RDP server on the machine to 3390, and you can RDP to two machines on the local network.

Just make sure that port isn't used for other important things. :)

BTW: Any VNC product can also be used as a replacement for RDP.
A benefit is access to non-windows platforms like Mac & Linux :)

Back