TechSpot

Remove AMD Catalyst / Nvidia Control Panel from the Windows desktop right-click menu

By Julio Franco
Jun 29, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. One of the worst things about bloated software is the addition of shortcuts and context menus that are better suited as opt-in features rather than self-imposed annoyances. So, call me a purist, but when I recently switched from a GeForce videocard to one of the newer Radeon HD boards, I hated to see a new context menu option added by AMD drivers that looks plain ugly with its red icon and too-wide appearance.

In case you don’t know what I’m talking about…

[​IMG]

There's a very easy way to remove it however. Open regedit and go to:
    KEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ACE

Then then remove the key named “ACE“.
    Alternatively, you can download these registry files and run them to disable or enable back the ATI option.

Nvidia drivers also add a similar shortcut, though it's of a more subtle appearance and they offer a quick way to remove it without any registry hacks.

Open the Nvidia Control Panel using that desktop shortcut, then on the window menu go to: View > Add Desktop Context Menu. That will actually disable it from view upon click (or enable it back).

JC713 and cliffordcooley like this.
  2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,021   +913

Lol. I still dont get what is so bad about that icon xD!

3. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,262   +541

Lol? I don't mind either sides menu add on, but it's good to know for those who do find it annoying. :p

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.