Removing an Intel CPU fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I'm having difficulty removing the Intel CPU fan that came with my computer. It's way too loud so I ordered a Zalman fan compatible with my motherboard.

My motherboard is an ASRock socket 775, and my processor is Intel Pentium D (x2 CPUs). The Zalman fan came today, so I had a look at the Intel fan and tried to remove it. There are 4 fasteners on the fan that you have to rotate and then they pop up, which I have done, they are still fixed down, covering screws I guess?

How can I remove the fan and heatsink to allow me to install my new Zalman one?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

It's weird, I follow those instructions and I get no enjoy.

It says you simply undo the four fasteners, and the CPU fan should just lift off, but it doesn't - it's as if it's glued down :s

You grab the top part of each leg (the part with the screwdriver slot in it) and give a little tug and 'pop' goes the weasel.

:)

Im doing that, and Im hearing the click/pop, but its not budging lol

I read on another forum that its common to find the heatsink stuck to the CPU, especially on stock Intel CPU fans. They suggest to run the system so it warms up, and gently move it to loosen the thermal paste. They say gradually it will come off.

Anyone else heard of this?

Well, if someone used thermal glue versus paste it would surely stick.

You can try the turn it on check BUT lay the comp on its' side so that the heatsink doesn't suddenly drop off.

Then, start it, run Everest to watch the cpu temp, and shut down quick if it gets too hot.

:)

note: BEFORE you try and remove it after heating the cpu, shut down.

This is very difficult,but you must have the motherboard manual or
get a pdf version.Installing a new heatsink and fan is very very technical.
My Son was able to with the mbd manual and fan booklet,but had to reseat
the motherboard differently.This means reconnecting all devices and power supply connections.
Best to pay a few bucks.

I've got that board with a C2D and I built another system with that board and a Pentium D, both with the stock cooler. Unless whoever put it together for you scraped off the original thermal stuff and put on a thermal glue it should come off. There is nothing tricky about that board or the stock heatsink and fan that would make removal difficult.

What I'd suggest since you are having problems is to remove the motherboard from the case, and take a look at the back of it. There is a little black piece of plastic that squeezes between 2 white pieces so that they are spread out and won't go back through the motherboard. Check to make sure the black piece is not pushed through the 2 white pieces, then you can push all 4 things that go through the motherboard out one at a time.

Thanks alot guys!

Yep it was pretty much glued on due to the thermal paste, so I ran my system for awhile, then shut it down and gently twisted the CPU fan and it came right off.

Getting the Zalman on was MUCH harder LOL but I got there in the end :)

Thanks alot guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back