Removing internet from some PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cy6erpuke

Hey there guys,

I'd like to pick your brains...

I have a network here with 10+ PCs and a DSL Router,
all connected to a switch. None of the PCs are directly connected to the Router.

I need to know whether or not there are other ways to remove internet
from some of the PCs.

I have, lets say, three with internet and the rest without.

1) Is it enough to just remove the gateway from TCP/IP settings?

2) Are there other means to access the internet without using a gateway
setting?

3) Will there be a way for malware to still hit the non internet connected
PCs?

4) Or is there a better way to do this?

Thank you for taking the time to read this,
I hope you'll have some more time to say what you think.
Any help...any tips, all is greatly appreciated !!!

Thank you in advance,
Cheers

you can try using a firewall to block off transmission to the internet, and only allow LAN connections.. or stick up one of those proxy server passwords thing where if the user needs access to the net they need a username and password to get through. (don't know what its called, just that my work has that system..)

i don't really know the answer to this, but this topic sounds interesting so *Bump* :D

although the malware thing... if the pcs are all linked, and the malware received infects via network or attached storages (eg. the setup.exe/autorun.ini bug etc) then yes, they will still get infected but to an extent i guess..

N30..

There is very little point in doing anything on the computers themselves - users will find a way around it.

The router most certainly has a packet filter function that can block computers by IP addresses. You may also be able to do filtering based on MAC addresses.

By setting local computer policies on those PC's you do not want to have internet access, you could disable access to "Control Panel", Remove Internet Explorer from the desktop, disable the "Run" command and be close to stopping internet access.

Go to Start - Run - Type: mmc and add the local computer policy through add-remove snap-in. Have a look through and test some on a PC. Remember each change as you may have to revert the changes at some stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back