Removing post counts

Julio Franco

Staff member
What would you say if I remove post counts from the forums? I'm not talking of the whole thing because your post count will always be available on your profile page but I'm referring to the post count information that goes along with your nickname and location on the left side of each of your posts.

I know what Veh will think about this ;), but that's exactly the idea, encouraging for more quality posts than just posting for the sake of doing so and adding up to your post count.

I would like to hear your opinions.

Hmm. I've never really envisioned it as hurting anything, but you do have a point.

I personally enjoy the readily available posting information as a symbol of "status" and "seniority" and all that silly stuff. People are competitive by nature and having nearly 3000 posts next to my name gives me the warm fuzzies every time I look at it. :eek:

I also like the quick reference to where people live.. I would otherwise never look, although it does fascinate me to see new member's locations.

For me, it does more good than harm. But for people like Veh.. I see your reasoning. ;)

I think it should stay, for some people the post count doesn't really reflect knowledge as much as it does for others. But when I'm new to a forum I like to see how many posts a person thats replying has, that helps in deciding how valid their advice is, usually. I also think it is better than showing when someone joined. Espically here where a large percentage of the active posters all show Feb 2002 even though many of us were around much before that.

Another good point SNGX - I too value opinions from long-time, active posters.

I would be more quick to trust someone with 2000 posts than 8. There are exceptions, but that's just the way it is. I subconsciously trust people with higher post counts when compared to newer members... Even though I should know better.

Of course, that sounds kind of elitist. :)

I see absolutely no value in post counts. I see your logic Rick and SNGX, but there are some newer members who have better advice than older members. Quality is always better than quantity. I think removing the count would encourage better quality and would probably reduce much of the nonsense posting that has been going on lately.

I think this can go both ways. It is a good idea to help reduce all the rubbish that comes up for no reason. So I guess I am going to say they should stay.

I don't think its going to change people, if its gone I think those that post rubbish are still going to post rubbish. I've worked over 3 years to get my 1779 as of this post. To me and many others we have earned this post count, don't take it away from us because a few people post crap. Its my job as a moderator and other moderators jobs to try and keep people on line and on topic, I think recently we have gotten away from that. But in the IRC channel (where a lot of mods are) we have talked about setting things right again.

I'm always singled out about this kind of stuff.

Maybe we should just delete the word association thread??? ;) ;)

I'd go with Rick on this one where the 2000th poster vs. 8th is concerned. Removing postcounts would be fine with me - but in it's place I'd like to have some sort of indication that this person is either a newb or a very experienced member.

Here's my idea. I'd go for letting us edit our own titles - with "TS Elite," "TS Special Forces," anything with "moderator" and whatnot not allowed of course. Then, where postcount usually goes, there's a "Member Status" or whatnot where you're listed as a newb, member, regular, or experienced - something along those lines - see this thread for more details.

That's just my idea. It's not like you guys ever agree with me anyway.

As for the editing titles thing - we could have one place that's ours, right below our names that we could change as we wanted. I've wanted this all along. Then on the other hand, where "Posts: x" there's "Member Experience: (newb, regular, experienced, etc.) which is based on postcount. There would be alot more categories than "newb, regular and experienced," of course, but those are just the underlying principles.

I think it should stay.

Vehementi has been posting rubbish and double posting for months on end now, why take away his incredibly high post count this far in the game? :p Just kidding of course

Leave the post count the way it is!

PS- I like your signature Veh.

Papa Hotel Alpha Tango Mike Alpha November (PHATMAN)

SNGX was confused at my reasoning over the whole editing titles thing - I thought I might clarify it. I never make sense to anyone :dead:

Ah, don't take it so hard on Veh, he's a valued member, you should know we are just kidding and well, complaining in some way, too ;).

Post counts are staying.
You guys made a few good points that perhaps I wasn't considering, let's keep this thread open and hear any other suggestions you may have.

Since I haven't seen any other "Noobs" post on this I thought I'd jump in. I take acception to some of you saying, (but in a mild mannered way, not trying to start a war) "Noobs" posts might not be quality posts. I think you are right, there are a lot of Noob post that are rubbish, invalid, doubles, whatever you want to call them, but, I think that in most all these cases, one of you more knowledgeable guys jumped in and made things right. Not trying to be a smart ***, but if no one is going to take a post that I might make as valid, do I want to post here? I think that the few posts that I have made were quality and not rubbish, I only posted about what I have a lot of knowledge of. When some one with several thousand posts, disagreed with what I said one time, we both "agreed to disagree", no hard feelings from either of us, we both knew when to back out, thats the way it should be here, no wars.

I for one will never post something here that I'm not sure of, (well resonably sure anyway), and I'm always open to other opinions if I do. I found this site quit by accident and it is the best forum by far that I visit, not to large, not to small. Although I've only been here a short time, I have come respect what most of you have to say, almost like I know you. If I had 2000, 3000, 4000 posts I'd sure like to see them posted, it does carry some status, if they are quality posts, after all, it's easy to see if some one is just interested in post count.

Again, I think this a great site and I hope no one takes what I have said in negative manner, it's not meant to be that way.

I know, to long winded.

Im side tracking here, but would it be possible to have some sort of star rating (like at school)... If someone helps you in a thread you get a gold star rewarded from the person you help...
If someone keeps bugging you, or posts pointless stuff then give them a black star (bad)... Then show the total by your name...

Just an idea...

is there no way of doing something like,

your status IS displayed, and it is determined by the amount of posts you make, but your actual count is only available via your profile?

0-15 = n00b :)
16-35 = slightly less n00b etc ? :)
36 - 50 = half century n00b :)

it's obviously not to ridicule those that don't post that often, as i've only posted a few times really compared to others, but i like to think what i have posted has been of use.

:D just my 2 cents tho

It doesn't really matter what you do, you cannot please everybody.

POSTCOUNT IS NOT A SIGN OF EXPERIENCE

if it was then no knowledgeable people would ever join forums, because their opinions/suggestions would be not taken into account, simply because they have a low postcount.

at the other end of the scale, there are people who are obsessed with having a high postcount, and go to extreme ends to post more and more crap, just to increase their post count. I have been responsible for this in the past (I'll admit it before anyone comments), but threads such as the word assoication game are there to encourage fun, not just to build postcount.

As for the idea of rating people as n00bs etc. , I think that is probably a bad idea, and instead we should be looking for ways that people can prove their knowledge, for example a star system as previously suggested.

I have the answer to all of this: If you want to stop most overposting, then do away with the contests. :eek: hehe! :D

I am pro visible post count because of a few things - One being I don't think it will stop people like "Vehementi" from posting as much. :) LoL. Sorry Veh.

Yes, I know it is very unfair to judge someone by their post count - But it still gets done whether it is fair or not. I would never soley judge a member by the size of their number - But it does factor in as a first impression and it does matter with newer members a lot when views conflict and sets an example of how to behave.

Taking out the post count is a bit like uniforms at school. It keeps everyone's appearence the same. That can be good, but it also negates the effort put forth by many members who would like their achievement to be noticed...

In all honesty, my post count means little to me. And to be against taking the post count down seems aristrocratic to me. But, I do like that I have so many posts.. It shows I've been around here a long time and gives me a certain amount of confidence when I visit here. I like my effort here to be visible.

Newcomers tend to respect seniority and people who have been here for a long time and participate a lot deserve that to some extent. It might sound silly, but the regulars here set the mood, tone and the example that newcomers will follow.

Post count cons:
1.) Lower "gotta be on top" mentality
2.) May reduce junk posting
3.) Newcomers may be not taken as seriously?

Post count pros:
1.) Identifies member's seniority here
2.) Helps regulars set an example for behavior and tone of the forums
3.) Helps newcomers identify trustworthy information
4.) Location and status are useful (Asks for best deals in their country/Mod or not a mod?/etc..)

What if there was a section of the boards where posts are not counted? And wouldn't show up on the frontpage as a "hot" thread. It could be called "the meeting spot" and contain non-techie posts. That way the post count would be more accurate.

I don't think you can do that conrad - but I don't know vB. You might be able to.

I don't think that would be a good idea anyway. It's a part of the forum - why not count posts from it?

Yes I have to agree with Veh this time, Meeting Spot is for general topics and discussion - you can still answer questions there - they just may not be directly related to anything our other forums cover.

I for one see absolutely no reason for post count to be displayed. To me it is an entirely meaningless number that serves only to boost the egos of few or form some form of "elitism" among the top posters, even contests to see who gets X number of posts first.

I never look at postcount. I look at what the person is saying. Many members with high postcounts have made IMO "stupid" posts or posts containing useless/wrong information, and then again I have seen members with sub 20 posts producing awesome information.

I don't trust people based on postcount, because at its heart it is just what it is - A number on a message board. It bears no relevance whatsoever to the amount of time you spend on the boards, your amount of expertise, your dedication to helping others, or anything of that sort. Posting 37 times a day does not make one a good helper, people (such as me) have been around 3dspotlight/techspot for years and still have relatively small postcounts.

I am not bashing anyone with a high postcount - I am simply saying there is no reason to flaunt it in front of all the other members. It's a useless number that has no real purpose, in my eyes.

I can see as many valid reason to get rid of them as there are to keep them. Though I don't see any reason to take the post count away from those who find a value with it, just because of a few individuals who try to abuse it and post meaningless replies just to boost their post count.

I have also noticed lately that the mods have been doing quite a good job of keeping this type of behavior to a minimum.

Personally, as I said before, I see little or no value in the count, though it does not bother me for it to be there.

I don't mind if you remove the post count or not, though sometimes I find it a nice feature to have...

Though as has already been mentioned, a rating system with max 5 stars or whatever would really be a nice feature to include (or have instead of post count)

Back