Removing thin case badges?

By DragonMaster
Jun 21, 2005
  1. How can I remove thin case badges(I'm changing case)?

    I'm not talking about the thick ones with transparent plastic on the front but more about ones made of 3 plies (aluminium, paper, metal sheet), like the "Sounds best on SoundBlaster 24-bit" or "Geared by MSI" if you ever saw these.
  2. Vigilante

    Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,666

    Good question, got no idea except razor blade or some type of solution or solvent. But if you do get it off, chances are good the original stick won't be there.

    But that leads to another similar question, how to get an XP product key sticker off? For same reason, just changing case or selling a case, whatever. I can work them off with a razor but it ain't pretty.
  3. DragonMaster

    DragonMaster TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 327

    Windows product key stickers . . . I already saw these. That's super-thin plastic with an aluminium layer under it, no? At least, I never used these stickers.

    Can an hair-dryer work? I know that you can easily remove domed badges when it's 45deg.C outside, but it wasn't the case today and I just used a knife. It worked, but I lost some glue. Double-side sticking tape can do the job.

    I know that lighter fuel stops glue from sticking, but will it damage the badge? I'll have to find an unused badge somewhere to be sure . . . :evil:

    The soundblaster badge is worse than I though, it's not even aluminium, it's plastic!
  4. vnf4ultra

    vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,388

    I use a long bladed utility knife(thin razor blade) and carefully work it off. I used the method to remove a windows xp code sticker without tearing, and a pentium logo sticker. I reapplied the pentium sticker with superglue, but the windows sticker was still sticky so I didn't need glue.
  5. DragonMaster

    DragonMaster TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 327

    Like a swiss knife blade once sharpened? Or Opinel kind(If you know these, french knifes)? Is plastic coming with them at the same time?

    I'm not actually changing case, I want to change their place one I finish modding it(Covering it of 1/2" wood)
  6. vnf4ultra

    vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,388

    I don't know what it's called, here's a pic though, it worked for me.
  7. DragonMaster

    DragonMaster TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 327

    These are called X-acto knives, even if X-actos are normally the same thing but shorter.
  8. Vigilante

    Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,666

    This is the kind of blade I use with these little flat razors. This only works, of course, on a nice flat surface. I couldn't find a decent picture but it uses these razor blades. I can work off a product key sticker alright I guess.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Create an account or login to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.