RENT PC Games in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just makes it easier for software pirates to get hold of software. They can then copy it (publishers copy protection aside) and not actually pay for the software. I am surprised that this software rental is being allowed. Do they have agreements with all the software publishers to rent out their games? Never thought I would ever see PC games for rental purely because of the above reason.

Personally, I think you should pay for games for what they're worth in terms of gameplay and re-playability with mods, levels etc. For example, I would gladly rent Return to Castle Wolfenstein just to play the single player to have my chance of checking it out and have no interest in the multi player which is crap over a slow modem anyhow.

I should have rented Max Payne instead of paying full price for it considering its a very short game and I haven't played it since except briefly with a couple of mods. The same with Black & White, just sitting on my shelf collecting dust.

However, I would always consider buying a game like Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge because I'm collecting them and follow the C&C series but then its also much more than that. An RTS game has a very long replayability factor where each skirmish/network game is different. Then theres, Worms World Party which is an old game from last year that has so much replayability and is one of the only multiplayer games that works perfect over a normal modem connection.

well like i said, renting PC games is something you would never expect to see because technically anyone with a game copying guide and with a cd writer can pirate them.

there was a store near where i live (in the us) like that a couple of years ago, but they went out of business after a couple of months, i don't think it was a very lucrative business

-Bourbon

Renting PC games...bahh...heaven for pirateers everywhere. It's so easy, noone will find out. As for that store near Svoboda, I'm not surprised...

Gamers buy or pirate. With internet connections for home users reaching larger and larger bandwidths more and more people will be able to download hacked and cracked games.
Renting seems to be a business idea stuck between a rock (buyers) and a hard place (lamers/pirates). :(

Originally posted by Arris
With internet connections for home users reaching larger and larger bandwidths more and more people will be able to download hacked and cracked games.

I think its not so much of a case of "will be able" as "are able". It was pretty easy last time I checked.

I have 512 kbps Cable modem connection, and getting told of these kinds of things with the help of KazaA or something is easy.

Sometimes, though, the download turns out to be a demo of something else, probably planted there by people who work for the particular games company.

But certainly, if you are happy with not having the CD audio tracks of the game, and can just happily stick your own music on, its easy to get the core files of a particular game. Easy. Right now.

I meant that with more and more people having access to large bandwidth connections. Not that current bandwidths (512) were insufficient.
Should have said "With fast connections becoming more widely available more and more people will be able to download hacked and cracked games"

I sense something.... I presence I've not felt since....

Its cool I know you meant that. All I'm illustrating is just how easy and simple it is right now.

And, I'm not saying I ever did it.;)

Here in the UK u will find that GAME and Electronic's Botique let you return COMPLETED games within 2 weeks !

Originally posted by Tweakster
Here in the UK u will find that GAME and Electronic's Botique let you return COMPLETED games within 2 weeks !

Well, me and everyone else whose bought games from them should already knows this whereas i don't know about the rest of the world on this returns policy.

Its more ligitimate to rent than to "buy & return" a whole load of new pc games through the year. At least you're not getting your hands on the latest games for absolutely nothing.

I don't usually hesitate to "buy & keep" games that stand out above the rest for being inavative and 'unique' like Max Payne and Black & White for example.

Some of you guys in the US should probably go take a look at your local library. My library allows checkout of PC and Mac games for free - and they have recent games too! Civ III, SS, etc.

LNCPapa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back