Repairing a PNY Ti4400

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoodooHellfire

Hi all! Been a while since I've posted here. I've recently had some trouble with a video card in my kids computer. I finally found out that my old Geforce 4 Ti4400 (PNY) in there had a dead fan. I've since ordered a replacement fan and heatsink combo which should be arriving in a couple of days. My problem now is that I can't seem to be able to remove the old heatsink/fan off of the vidcard. I've already removed the pins from the 2 corners and the whole spring looking assembly also from those same two corners. The only thing I can think now that is holding it on is the thermal pad that was on there when I bought it (ages ago). I'm afraid that if I apply too much force to pull it off, I may end up damaging the GPU. Is that a possibility? Also, I need to know if anyone has any ideas for removing it. I've tried putting the card in the freezer, which didn't seem to work, but I'm trying it again and leaving it overnight. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

When removing a heatsink, twist it, dont pull it. Ive found its alot eaiser to remove the heatsink while things are a bit warm. (i took a blowdryer to get my old x600s heatsink off) Ive never heard of the freezer method, so i cant say if that will work.

the freezer?!?!? that sould just make the thermal compound more solid and the heatsink ahrder to get off. freezing a card is really bad for the electronics and the pcb, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back