Replace only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the situation:
I am trying to install Windows 98 on a PC (OLD i know, but someone wants to use it)
Everything is ok on it except the hard drive. I can get it to recognize it and when i get to the CHKDSk part of the install i cant get past it. it keeps popping up with directory errors, so i can boot with CD support (only) to a cmd promt it will only give me use of limited cmds (help dosen't even work). I can see the directory listing and the Volume Label and dir's are all in sybols, i can't type the in or use the code for them, i can't change the Volume Label using the label cmd, and i can't erase anything. I really want to fix this and not just replace the hard drive. So any suggestions no matter how tedious they may be for me to do are welcome
THNKS

First, test the hard drive with the manufacturer utility. It just might be dead.
Second, use the magical "format" command to reformat the hard drive.

The drive does work and i couldnt the magical "format" command to refort it wouldnt recongnize the cmd, fdisk requires you enter a volume label. Well anyway thanks for the suggestion but i went to bootdisk.com and got a dos bootdisk and reformatted thru there, thnx any way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back