Replaced motherboard and power supply now I freeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I was wondering if someone would have a salution for me or suggestion.

I have recently bought a

MSI 6791-FX 400/533/800FSB Pentium 4 Micro ATX Motherboard with Audio and LAN

CPU

• Supports Intel® Socket 478 for Pentium® 4 (Northwood) Processors
• Support up to 3.2GHz/FSB 800
• Supports FSB 400/533/800 MHz

Chipset

• SiS® 648FX Chipset
• Supports Intel® Pentium® 4 processors with data transfer rate up to 800MHz.
• Supports 64-bit high performance DDR333/DDR266 memory controller.
• Supports AGP 8X/4X interface at 0.8v or 4x at 1.5v with fast write transaction.
• Dual-IDE ATA 66/100/133.
• ACPI & PC2001 compliant enhanced power management.
• Low pin count interface for SIO
• Integrated audio controller with AC97 interface.
• Integrated high speed USB 2.0 controller, 480Mb/s.

Main Memory

• Supports two 184-pin DDR DIMM.
• Supports up to 2GB memory size without ECC.

Slots

• One AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port) slot.
- AGP specification compliant.
- Supports AGP 2.0 4x/8x.
• Three 32-bit PCI bus slots.

LAN

• RealTek 8100C PHY.
- Supports 10Mbps and 100Mbps auto-negotiation operation.
- Supports ACPI power management.

Audio

• 6 channels software audio codec RealTek ALC655.
- Compliance with AC'97 v2.3 Spec.
- Meet PC2001 audio performance requirement.

and a

Titanium Powmax Assassin 500Watt 20 or 24 Pin Power Supply w/ 150mm Blue LED Fan, SATA, PCI-E

Assassinate your opponents with this elite gamer style power supply. Not only does it have next generation PCI Express video connector and SATA support, but it features an enormous 150mm fan for maximum airflow and glowing LED lights.

FEATURES

500W Maximum Output
15CM High Efficiency Green LED Fan w/ Ultra Silent Design
Excellent Heat Dissipation by Honey Comb Structure
Built-in Voltage Overload Protection
Colored Heat-sink and LED On/Off switch
Shielded Tube and Black Connectors
1 x 20/24 Pin Main Connector
1 x PCI Express Connector
2x Serial ATA connectors
Support Intel "Pentium-4" and AMD "Athlon XP
Complies with ATX 2.03 and ATX12V 1.3

SPECIFICATIONS

Model: PSAS
Dimensions 6"Wx3.6H"x6.6"D
AC Input 115/230, 10A/6A, 60Hz/50Hz
Max Load +3.3@28A, +5@38A, +12@17A, -5@0.5A, -12@0.8A, +5vsb@2A
MTBF 100K hrs at 25°C ambient conditions
Efficiency 70% Min. at full load
Noise Level Maximum of 37db at 100% system loading
Certified by UL, CB, CE, TUV, & FCC .

I put in my Intel Celeron P-4 2.93 GHz CPU with its original Heat sink and fan I also replaced the Thermole Grease. I have a rear exast fan as well. All Fans work well there all pritty new. I have 798 MB of DDR and a Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 Video Card. Its fan is working as well.

My problem is this I am apperintly overheating. I can run my PC some times till windows loads and some times just a couple minutes longer.
If I open my back door and put a small box fan on my PC I can run till I am ready to turn it off long as the weather out side requires a jacket. Any help would be appriciated. I have used the MSI Live Update and got all drivers and utillitys running. I have also checked and my BIOs is up to date. I am running Windows XP.

I had fried my original motherboard and power supply by hooking a bad monitor up. I got the dreeded black screen. My PC was perchased at Wal-Mart and was a hp pavilion a705w.

Thanks for your time and I pray someone can help. :knock:

start by checking all the jumper settings.If there ok or resetting them doesn't work try flashing the bios if you can. make sure all cards,connectors tightly inserted,If problems persist remove devices one at a time.if it works when you remove a device then that device is the problem and needs to be replaced.If any of these are shorted they could cause freezeing.

try liquid cooling.
the problem may be the fan controler or temp sensors in the new motherbard.

Just to clarify one thing... did you reinstall XP after getting the new mobo? or did you just luckily manage to update the drivers without searching for XP cd?

Before trying anything go into your bios and see if your CPU is running at the correct vcore(voltage) and clock speed.

If any of these have somehow gotten set too high (I wouldn't know how :) ) your CPU may be dissipating (giving off) more heat than your heatsink/fan are rated for,
and DON'T try to flash an unstable machine!

Yeah... flashing BIOS would not be smart is such case. If you are not sure abou BIOS settings just revert to factory defaults.

check

DOUBLE-CHECK your application of thermal compound and proper seating of heatsink/fan!!!!! If your CPU wasn't trashed before, it might be goin south now. Did you thoroughly clean the old paste off? I say this because that box fan helped out. COOLING,COOLING! :(

Your power supply is one of the problems

I made the mistake of getting a Powmax Assassin 550W for my dual-core setup. I set up my machine without thinking... had I considered what I was doing for a second, I would have detected BS.

1) the power supply doesn't weigh enough to be a true 550W power supply unit (PSU). This is because there are no heat sinks worth a crap in it, and the caps are underrated.
2) the fan spins way too slowly... to appease someone who wants a quiet PSU.
3) The entire PSU is full of holes. It's built in a mesh box. HOW is air going to channel up and out the back of your computer? Answer: it won't.

Great site on how a techie debunked the low-end Powmax cheeso power supplies: http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/Assassin/Powmax_Assassin.html

Mine lasted about 2 hours before making a funny smell. Then it blew up. THEN I looked for reviews on it. Stupid me, never again. I could have blown up about $800 worth of gear. Lucky for me, it seems only the power supply blew - but I have read many accounts in the last two hours of folks who were not so lucky.

Bottom line: if you value your equipment, spend at least $60-70 on a power supply... no, wait.... make that $90-130. Depends on what your requirements are -- but a good rule of thumb is to know how much it weighs. Never trust the advertised sticker wattage is my take-home message.
Excellent site to contrast/purchase PSUs:
http://www.directron.com/table1.html

Next: consider a cooling mod. This one is inexpensive and excellent. May take a little work, though.
http://www.overclockers.com/tips1187/index02.asp

Your PSU is the most important component in the box. Don't skimp on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back