Replaced power supply now USB ports/hub will not detect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short. My power supply shorted mid week while my computer was booting up. Snap, crackle and then a dead computer. I replaced the power supply after 3 days and crossed my fingers. Computer came up but was slow going though the USB configuration in post. Taking about 2 to 3 minutes to get though the post and then load Windows XP pro.

Eveything seems to work except all my USB ports do not pickup any thing plugged into them. I have 4 on the back of the MOB and 4 extra on the case in the front. I uninstalled the USB controller, shut down the computer and started it back up. Found alll the controllers and installed them again but after they all were found it showed 3 unknown device when I checked in device manager. I did not have any usb devices attached or plugged in at that time. I then decided to flash the bios with latest version which went fine. No luck with the usb. Updated my intel chipset to the latest from ASUS. Uninstalled and reinstalled the USB controller. USB configuration now zips by in the post, no unknown devices showing up in hardware manager but the usb ports still do not detect anything when I plug into them. I have devices that need the USB ports.....printer, cd rom, zip drive, several thumb drives. ?????? Do not know what to try next except to reformat a HD, install windows and start over. Did not want to spend several days doing that if I do not need to. Anyone have any suggestion? (my profile has my computer specs)

Nola1031

When the power supply blew it might have damaged the USB controllers. If you can't get to work and if you have spare PCI or PCI-E x1 slots, you can get a expansion card with USB ports.

Nola
Did you check in the BIOS setup (under integrated peripherals) if your USB function is enabled?
Give it a try......Post back

Yes, I have checked everything in the bios and it is set to enabled and required settings for USB, etc. Got the message that one of the devices had malfuctioned. Shows no drivers even though it is just a thumb drive and windows should pick it up. Guess I will try a simple install of windows and chipset drivers on another HD to see if it picks up the USB ports then. That way I will know if the USB controllers were damaged or not. Then may go with the PCI card option if I have too.

Thanks,
Nola

UPDATE- 1/13/08

Motherboard USB controllers were fried. Went ahead and ordered the same ASUS motherboard. USB works fine after replacing the board. Did finally figure out how to get my motherboard to boot past the USB area. Had to change a couple of the dafault usb settings in the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back