Replacement for Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX

Aurora-Storm

Hi all,

My computer was top of the line... 6 years ago. The past few years my computer has been freezing, crashing, and bluescreening due to the kind of functionality I force it through, namely the use of multiple programs at once (internet, livestream, games). The fan hasn't worked for over a year now (it was choking, I simply turned it off and often attempted to keep my system as cool as possible using a large floor fan).

Today it gave it's death knoll - freezing with video ram artifacts all over the screen. I had been I messing around with the EVE Online character creator (with internet playing music and Steam open, naturally). Un- and reinstallation of the drivers would not fix the artifacts, it had forced non-native resolution (it wouldn't go beyond 1240x1080 or something, native is 1920x1200) and was happily informing me that I wasn't "currently using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU", despite the fact that the second I uninstalled the drivers my computer was searching for and reinstalling them again. I gave up and shut down to look at the power supply, and when I turned it back on it was miraculously in it's native resolution, and artifact-free... but I've abused it long enough now that it probably only has a few months left, and is in desperate need of replacement. I realize it might even be artifact-ridden next time I turn it on.

Dell pre-built desktop, ~6 years old
Windows Vista Ultimate, 32 bit
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU, at 2.40GHz
4.00 GB RAM
I think my power supply is max 375W, but I'm having trouble figuring the label out so I attached a picture in case I'm sorely mistaken.

I'm looking for something that works within my current specs, approximately the same size as the Geforce 8800 GTX (my case won't fit anything much bigger as far as I can tell, and I can't get a new case because it barely fits height-wise where I need it to go). As I said, I use multiple programs and I especially game on my computer, so I need something that can handle my usage. On the other hand, I am looking to completely replace my system within a few years with something custom from Origin, so I don't want to be pouring money into this system. So - something that will allow me to eke out a few more years within my other current specs without costing me a bundle. Say around 200 or 300?

Please let me know if you need more information, and thanks in advance.

power supply.jpg

Umm have you thought about buying a new computer, yours is rather old. The amount of work, time and money you will probably spend on it trying to fix it up until you throw it away will be quite a lot.

I might agree with the post above 2-300 is enough for half of a new build. I wouldn't invest that much into an old machiine wiwth a worn down power supply. Unless you're willing to replace the power supply as well.

The computer I'll eventually be looking at is going to set me back between 2 to 3k, which I simply cannot afford right now. So yes, I'm willing to spend 200-300 on a replacement graphics card, but, unless I can get a replacement graphics and a power supply for under 400 for both, I'm not looking at anything else.

This computer has served me well and with any forethought I can eke out a few more years until I'm in a position to better afford the type of build that will last much longer and stand my sort of use. Anyways, right now a graphics card is an emergency replacement that might take one or two weeks to come in whereas a new computer would take at least a week of research plus 2 or 3 weeks in the shop to build. I need something immediate and not too expensive.

The computer I'll eventually be looking at is going to set me back between 2 to 3k, which I simply cannot afford right now.
What are you looking to do on your computer? If your just looking for one to type papers, surf the Internet and other basic functions you can find a computer at a very low price, even a laptop but if you are interested in gaming You can probably get a pc at around $700-1000. Here is not a bad gamer pc that is pretty low price: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5653741&csid=_61

Or if you would like some experts to help you find a good pc you can visit: https://www.techspot.com/community/forums/hot-deals.25/
If you ask an expert to help you build a pc, you can build a rig that may be better than those in your price range and it will probably cost less also.

If you are uninterested in buying a new computer please ignore this post.

Fine, I'll bite. I'll recommend an nvidia 650 ti or an ati 7850 with a corsair builder series psu, maybe the cx500 keeping you at a budget of under 250 usd.

I'm a little worried about CPU bottlenecking... but, I'll second LinkedKube suggestion. However, your machine is pre built and these components may not fit in your case. Make sure to measure dimensions before committing.

I'm a little worried about CPU bottlenecking...

This was my initial concern. But he made it clear he didnt want to do a full overhaul, this is why I didn't blow his entire budget of 300 usd. If he buys from newegg he can get a 650ti and the power supply for about 220 and that doesn't include rebates.

I second the CPU bottleneck. I have been looking for the past 10 minutes for a video I saw a few months back about whether upgrading a GPU is a good decision with an old Core 2 Duo/Quad. I cant find it though. The point is that the Core 2 Duo/Quad performed a good 20 frames less than a modern CPU (i5 3570K).

Thanks all for your replies. I'm going to do a little more research but I will chiefly consider the suggested Nvidia 650 Ti / CX500 Psu. If anything, would you advise a possible downgrade of the card to avoid the CPU bottleneck, or should I just go for it and be possibly limiting its potential? If it's a massive bottleneck than I would just try and find something to downgrade so I wasn't flushing my money (or needing to further upgrade components) but if it isn't hugely significant I will probably go for the suggested components, allowing that they'll fit into my case.

The Core 2 Quad will be fine for now. The bottleneck is mainly an issue with the Core 2 Duo. The Quad will still bottleneck to some point, but not as much as a Core 2 Duo. I would recommend this GPU: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GTX650Ti-Dual-Link-Graphics/dp/B00BZB0HDS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368242903&sr=8-2&keywords=650ti boost
I am recommending that GPU since it has a shroud cooling solution. That is better for low airflow cases.

I would tell you to overclock your CPU, but since it is a prebuilt Dell, that is out of the question.

What are you looking to do on your computer?

I will, eventually, be looking to buy a heavy duty gaming rig that hopefully lasts through several generations of gaming, as well as being able to run a multitude of programs at once without taxing the system. I'm basing my estimated cost on the custom built gaming rig that my brother purchased from Origin, which set him back about 2k (with a large coupon discount). However we need/expect different things from our systems, and so I expect my price might dip out of the 2-3k range into something less wallet-crunching.

I appreciate your links, it's good to know that solid pre-built gaming systems can be purchased for under 1k if I ever need to do a complete replacement and can't justify my ideal custom rig.

Origin is overpriced. I can build you a cart on Newegg for about 1500 that will play any game @ max settings @1080P. Just hit us up in the forum when ready.

Back