replacing a motherboard

By Tedster
Aug 17, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am RMAing a bad motherboard, when I get the replacement will my windows XP currently intalled on my hardisk regect the new motherboard if it is an identical replacement? Does the serial # on the windows copy tie into a serial # on the board?
  2. blue_dragon

blue_dragon Newcomer, in training Posts: 278

hmm

in theory it shouldnt..because the chipest, cpu, drivers, tc.. would be the same..I doubt it but its a possibility
    I cant think of a way the OS would differentiate between two diffrent yet same motherboards
  3. i_am_a_newbie

i_am_a_newbie Newcomer, in training Posts: 278

It shouldn't pose a problem. I swapped two similar(not exactly the same) mobo's and Windows had no problem with the swap.
  4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Topic Starter Posts: 10,067   +13

ok. yeah- I know it's an issue with different motherboards and configurations... I have 2 hard drives installed in RAID 0 so i don't want to lose the data..... I was afraid XP would regect the new system thinking it was a second installation on another systems.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.