Replacing mobo,comp doesnt detect CD/HD,(long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry so long Im new to working on computers/adding components ect.

specs of original comp

P4 3GHz processor
AsRock 4S55FX mobo 478
512 mb ddr ram
128mb ati 9800 vid card

Purchased computer roughly one year ago, custom made

These are the symptoms I was having before in order of occurrence.

1: Loud cackling/beeping noises would come from my speakers, even if I turned them off, during the noise my computer would lag a bit, mouse would move slowly ect for the 3-5 seconds of noise, it would go away and things would be fine.

2:Computer started having problems shutting down and rebooting, I thought it was the moinitor but tried 2 others to find that the system wasnt rebooting properly. Would take 2-3 resets to boot up, sometimes Windows would freeze at the XP screen. Rarely though. I left my computer on for spans of 2 days to get around the booting problem.

3:Started to encounter freezes while playing an online game, rarely, which then started occuring more often just while browsing the internet. Started taking more resets to eventually boot. No Beeps at all while booting, ran a virus scan ect. Saw in device manager that a RAID controller device had a ? next to it and i remember seeing that a couplemonths ago and ignoring it, well i got the drivers off the mobo disk and installed them for the RAID and still booting issue was same.

Talked to some friends online and all said it was probly the mobo, due to freezes and no beeps at boot.

Went and bought a new mobo at comp usa, was the most similiar to mine, an AVIT fs7 or something and another 512 mb of ram.

I followed the instructions taking out old one and putting in new one. Connected everything, plugged in everything and now, when i power on it shows the Intel Pentium screen (which it didnt before) then spews all the grey text like its checking components, then it tries to load windows and reboots, going through the same process and then coming to the safe mode screen, cant start in safe mode at all.

Put in a boot disk to get to the A prompt and when i do i try to change directories to go to my cd drive or hard drive and it says drive not found. When i hit delete to run setup the hard drive and cd devices show up and they even show up when the grey text is running down the screen.

I still dont think its beeping though, but it is rebooting whenever i reset. Someone said my hard drive might be bad, im not sure, I just want it to work. The noise still comes through my speakers too, even if the comp sits in setup mode too.

I havent reset CMOS yet, well because i dont know how to but i guess i can figure it out.

Anyone have an idea of something I can do or what might be the problem?Thanks ahead of time.

oh yeah

I just remembered, on the mobo when i was installing in the box i got a SATA cable, but didnt see one when i took out the old mobo. But theres nothing connected to the SATA spots on the mobo, did i not connect everything correctly? Or should there be nothing there unless I was gonna do something else?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your hard drive will still have the chipset drivers for your old mobo, and wont work with your new mobo.

Go HERE and follow the instructions for doing a Windows repair.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Leave resetting the cmos for now.

Do the windows repair, and let us know how it goes.

Once you`ve done the repair, go to the Windows update site, and install all the Windows updates for your system.

Regards Howard :)

Had a very similiar problem and it was faulty ram. Computer turned off and just kept rebooting. I took my ram to frys they tested it and I got new ram. Ran fine ever since.

Ram

Well when I put in the new mobo I did add another 512mb of ram, they are in the correct slots, i believe it said 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. Maybe I should take out the RAM? Would bad memory cause my initial problems? I read here that if you put in 2 512 mb rams even tho they are the same type might not work because of brand name.

So much to try, and im stuck at work........

Ram

I would assume even without reading that the RAM should go in the same color slots opposite of each other, with the 2 sets of 2 rows of pins each set having 1 color of each. Is that wrong? Sometimes im just stupid enuff to screw that stuff up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back