Republicans sue Google for filtering campaign emails as spam

Status
Not open for further replies.
In brief: The Republican National Committee has sued Google alleging biased email spam filtering. The RNC claims they have been communicating with Google for 10 months without finding a solution to what the political committee considers to be discriminatory filtering.

The Republican National Committee (RNC) has filed a lawsuit against Google for allegedly engaging in unlawful discrimination by filtering Republican campaign emails to its users' spam folders.

According to the suit filed with California's Eastern District Court on Friday, the RNC accuses the search giant of "throttling its email messages because of the RNC's political affiliation and views." The RNC is particularly concerned about what it considers suspicious patterns in the timing of spam filtering for RNC communications.

According to the RNC, for most of each month, nearly all RNC emails arrive in Gmail inboxes as expected, but then near the end of the month nearly all RNC emails are sent to user's spam folders. The RNC claims this spike in spam filtering is intended to coincide with the time of the month that RNC fundraising has historically been the most successful.

The RNC goes on to claim in the filing that it has been in talks with Google for 10 months about the RNC's findings. The RNC is specifically asking the court to reject any effort by Google to try to hide its actions behind claims of algorithmic neutrality. The RNC suggests the "most reasonable inference is that [the spam filtering] is intentional," but that regardless, Google's inaction on the RNC's complaints should be considered "at least negligent and unreasonable" which would be enough under California common carrier law to be considered discrimination.

Google has denied the RNC's claims in a statement given by Google spokesperson José Castañeda:

As we have repeatedly said, we simply don't filter emails based on political affiliation. Gmail's spam filters reflect users' actions. We provide training and guidelines to campaigns, we recently launched an FEC-approved pilot for political senders, and we continue to work to maximize email deliverability while minimizing unwanted spam.

The FEC-approved pilot referenced in Google's statement was launched in August in response to Republican-raised concerns about bias in spam filtering systems. The Google program would allow any campaign to register to bypass automatic spam filtering ensuring delivery in user inboxes.

The RNC is reportedly not enrolled in this program.

Permalink to story.

CONServatives used to whine the old "you can't yell fire in a theater".
But apparently you CAN push conspiracy theories, health harmful bullshit, false claims about people they never met, and not so subtly call someone to be targeted in various ways.

Then call it censorship when their garbage gets pulled.
Tweets or emails. Trash belongs in the trash.

And that goes for the nut cases on the far left too by the way.

I'm REALLY happy that Google does that actually!

Again, please mods please stop deleting my comments for NO REASON!! This is just getting silly.

Is it worth losing a viewer of over 10 years??? Keep doing it anonymous mod.

"As we have repeatedly said, we simply don't filter emails based on political affiliation."

In the six months before the 2020 election Google was repeatedly caught filtering searches and Youtube videos that would help high-profile Republican candidates or harm their opponents. And they expect us to to believe they don't do the same for Gmail? Time Magazine did a big article on how big tech conspired with the MSM and the Democrats to engage in exactly this type of anti-democratic sabotage.

So tired of conservatives constantly whining about everything and constantly playing the victim card. Nothing is fair, everyone is out to get them, etc. The RNC sends out literally tens of millions of e-mails every week begging for donations. I know people who get multiple e-mails PER DAY asking for donations. If that's not spam then I don't know what is.

I also find it funny that conservatives and RNC have nothing but negative things to say about the state of California. But of course that's where they file their lawsuit because it's the state where it's easier to bring these nonsense lawsuits. They won't win either way.

I'm REALLY happy that Google does that actually!

Again, please mods please stop deleting my comments for NO REASON!! This is just getting silly.

Is it worth losing a viewer of over 10 years??? Keep doing it anonymous mod.
Is this a subtle joke? Like you saying it is OK for Google to censor others, republicans in this situation, but is not Ok when you are censored? :)

So tired of conservatives constantly whining about everything and constantly playing the victim card. Nothing is fair, everyone is out to get them, etc. The RNC sends out literally tens of millions of e-mails every week begging for donations. I know people who get multiple e-mails PER DAY asking for donations. If that's not spam then I don't know what is.

I also find it funny that conservatives and RNC have nothing but negative things to say about the state of California. But of course that's where they file their lawsuit because it's the state where it's easier to bring these nonsense lawsuits. They won't win either way.
Perhaps because Googleplex, the corporate headquarters complex of Google and its parent company, Alphabet Inc, is located at 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway in Mountain View, California?

Last edited:

The best is when the Haves complain - they are not able to exploit the poor the way they were used to - Or whinge about positive discriminations - yet they have practice it for all time - where their coke sniffing , drug/alcohol raping kids - don't seem to go to jail and no matter how stupid get into good schools - yes the exaggerated end of spectrum.

Here's a fun fact - where does your average Joe/Jane accumulate wealth ??

Owing a property . People of colour and minorities have systematically had it harder to get a mortgage .= Studies out there- USA especially bad historically

Imagine if your parents working as regular Joes couldn't have got a mortgage or your grandparents.

$400 000 capital growth compared to endless rent

It sounds like they tried to resolve the issue with Google directly and Google did not resolve the issue. Taking it to court is the next logical step. It doesn't matter what political party you support, there is no room for this kind of alleged bias. Google is an extremely left leaning company, but it still has an obligation of neutrality when it comes to something like this. They can spend as much money as they want to endorse and fund the left, but they can't provide disparate service to customers based on the political affiliation. If it turns out that only conservative emails are hitting the spam filter at the end of the month, then they deserve to be sued.

CONServatives used to whine the old "you can't yell fire in a theater".
But apparently you CAN push conspiracy theories, health harmful bullshit, false claims about people they never met, and not so subtly call someone to be targeted in various ways.

Then call it censorship when their garbage gets pulled.
Tweets or emails. Trash belongs in the trash.

And that goes for the nut cases on the far left too by the way.
Tell us more about these conspiracy theories.

FfsB5mPWIAAnu27

It sounds like they tried to resolve the issue with Google directly and Google did not resolve the issue. Taking it to court is the next logical step. It doesn't matter what political party you support, there is no room for this kind of alleged bias. Google is an extremely left leaning company, but it still has an obligation of neutrality when it comes to something like this. They can spend as much money as they want to endorse and fund the left, but they can't provide disparate service to customers based on the political affiliation. If it turns out that only conservative emails are hitting the spam filter at the end of the month, then they deserve to be sued.
This may be the true reality show exposed in front of the public, the fight between corporate "capitalism" and "democrate elections" :)

I'm wondering, and this is not me being an A*****e, I'm genuinely wondering if being sent to the spam folder is really that awful? I get emails from Act Blue constantly, and they go straight to my spam folder.

Is it possible, for real, that some folks have just found something new to cry about? Without all the facts, again.

And herein lies the definition fascism..”when government, religion, and corporations become one”. The media’s most powerful tool is the “power to ignore”. God help us.
Fixed..!

For awhile I got up not knowing which god I should pray to, and I just gave up on prayer altogether. Deciding if I should pray to Donald Trump, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg, or Jesus, caused so much cognitive dissonance, I just said, "fu*k it", and now I soldier on as a godless heathen..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back