Require a user password in Win XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

radarseven

A while back, I made a registry change somewhere that required a user on my machine to have a password. I no longer need this and for the life of me can't remember or find where to change it back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Michael R.

What was the nature of the change ? Someone might know where to fix it.

gpedit.msc deals with policy changes and user limitations,

if that be any use.

Don't know for sure but I would imagine it's the Administrator password. Go into User Accounts and deselect the password option.

Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts

Don't see it in gpedit.msc

It was an option I set months ago (I believe I edited via regedit) that required a a user to have a password. So, now if I go into Control Panel and try to remove the password on any accounts, I get the following error message:

"Windows cannot remove the password. Password and/or account policies require the account to have a password."

@BlameCanada

Thanks for the reply.
I unchecked the box and did a restart. When I try remove the password from the Control Panel, I'm getting the same error message as above. Strange.

I'm also now getting some strange behavior at logon. Previously, I had two accounts that appear at logon, now only 1 of them appears?

Update

Interesting update.

So I rechecked "Require a password" and did a restart and my other account that had a password attached to it now shows up again.

I review my policies at secpol.msc. Apparently I had implemented password requirements there previously, i.e. minimum length. I changed all of those to "0" and then I was able to remove a password from one of the accounts.

What's strange to me is that the "Password required" box is still checked under "userpasswords2". I guess I don't fully understand how that works. If a password is required, how I can have a user that doesn't have a password.?
Hmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back