Researchers discover 10% of Chrome extensions could be malicious

By Scorpus
Aug 21, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Researchers examining the security of web browsers have uncovered that nearly 10% of extensions for Google Chrome could be used for data theft. Even more concerning, the behavior of malicious extensions is undetectable to end users, and the permission system...

Read more
  2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

Yeah I've seem some I was using to be shady, so those where removed.
  3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,498   +673

The real question is what is Google going to do to help it's users? Certainly they can develop a realistic app that the end user can use to sniff these out and defeat them. Is that too much to expect considering the massive revenue to receive ....
  4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,456   +1,759

I've always thought the whole damned browser was dodgy to begin with.

I guess Google doesn't like the, "targeted ads of others", to interfere with the, "abundant targeted ads of Google itself". At some point, somebody has to leave room for the actual content of the page. Er, don't they?:confused:

Alright boys and girls, can you say, "googleanalytics.exe?
  5. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

85% of the video downloading extensions are malicious
  6. captaincranky

7. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

Had tons of experience downloading most of the video downloading extensions... so ye....
    Graham Clark likes this.
  8. Google prides itself in its "secure" browser, spending tens of thousands of dollars on defeating exploits but neglects the most obvious attack vector: extensions!
  9. captaincranky

I knew the "iLivid" played AC/DCs "Highway to Malware", but I thought, "Video Download Helper" was OK. Although it does seem to leak memory and tends to crash Firefox's, "plug in Container", quite often..:oops:

As soon as I load a Google image page, it's not long afterward there comes the crash. The machine is 32 bit Win 7 & Intel G41, so there's no separate Vram.
  10. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,291   +55

Never did like chrome. Upon terminating, it flashes brightly and can give you a lapse, depending on how much pollution you're breathing today.
  11. Graham Clark

Graham Clark TS Rookie

Reply, have A free one from Win Store-Purple YOUTUBE DOWNLOADER , just seeing'OOPS', usually the word after YouTube Download Failed(403 ERROR)
  12. captaincranky

I'm not exactly sure what your meaning is here Graham...:confused:

I have, "Download Helper 4.9..something installed on this computer.
    This extension works just dandy.

I was just sort of inquiring if @wastedkill thought this particular video download tool, was one of the 85% he considers, "malicious".