Reset USB MBR, shows as empty removable disk in My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellokitty[hk]

So I had my OCZ Rally2, it had linux on it, and it was bootable and working just fine.
I accidentally reset the MBR on the flash drive while I was fixing another computer's MBR (i'm not sure if you should delve into this further, i'm not even sure I know what I did). It no longer boots or is accessible on windows. When I plug it in, all it does is make a new Removable Disk on my computer. The drive is empty and asks to insert a disk when clicked on.

In linux (or windows) try running TestDisk to recover the MBR.
Ok...

Ahh yes, it does show in disk management, as the correct size too. Linux can't open it either.
I don't object to a format, no important data, I would know better than to put anything on a flash drive i'm screwing with xD.

Not sure if its relevant in this case but post this question on the OCZ forums, the admins will send you the latest firmware. it fixes many "issues" with the dirve.

Ok, I did try using TestDisk, and i've posted a similar thread on the OCZ forums.
Redoing the MBR didn't work, still the same symptoms. I do have a dos program that will make my flash drive's MBR bootable again, which I think will fix the problem, but it must be run from the drive, and I can't use my flash drive it seems. I do have the program and acompanying code, if someone knows how to make it run on a different drive than it is executed from, that might be useful, though windows also might not let it touch the drive. The batch file simply executes a program, maybe I can just change the drive path.
Code:
%~d0
sysl\win32\syslinux.exe -ma %~d0
if exist ldlinux.sys goto done

OCZ forum advisor asked for a simple reformat with their utility, which he PMed me the utility (very interesting utility too), i'm not sure if I should mention it, though I doubt there would be a problem.

Thanks, interesting format tool, I don't understand why you decided to PM me instead of posting it...but my drive works now, just no data. I had all the data backed up, but I have long forgotten exactly what I need on my drive and what I don't, I might have preferred at least a record of what was on the drive. Thanks for your help, and thanks for OCZ's amazing products.

EDIT: There is an LED setting in the utility, can I turn down the brightness?

Thanks.

Its a customized version of the mass production utility for the flash drive. It reloads the firmware and does a low-level format of the drive. Each OCZ drive has a different tool. Its not a tool for recovering your data, more for returning the drive to a functioning state. The better question is how it got in that state to begin with, long term I probably wouldn't trust the drive.

Most manufactures just write the drive off as failed, OCZ is nice in that they'll give you a repair tool.

The better question is how it got in that state to begin with, long term I probably wouldn't trust the drive.
No, that was my fault...I unintentionally wiped the MBR, very long story you probably don't want to hear. So far, my OCZ drive and support has been great, and fast. OCZ ftw!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back