Resistor replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

have recently aquired an msi 6712 k4v version 10 mobo, unfortunately my friend broke the L20+ resistor when trying to put the Fan on, i can get this replaced and fitted, but having problems finding out what ohms value it is.

If anyone has any ideas on this it would be much appreciated.

Cheers D

Read the marking. If you can't make it out look at another motherboard of the same type. And are you sure it's a resistor? The L identificator would suggest some kind of an inductor.

Your right its a LH inductor not a resistor

Well anyway its a LH series inductor, still need to find out what ohms value it can take, so any ideas and how to find this out out or if by chance you know, the position on the mobo is L20

The main characteristic of an inductor is not ohms, it's inductance (measured in henries (H)). If you can't decipher the marking on the component then the only solution is a repairs manual for your mobo. I don't think you will find one anywhere unless you have good connections in electronics service industry.

You could always get a good version of the mobo, solder off the good inductor, measure it's main characteristics, put it back and get an equivalent for your broken mobo :p

To test that part, could you jumper that (bypass it) and see what happens? Not a long tern fix, but it might confirm if it is bad.

I think the term "broke" used for a very specific part on a mobo suggests that the component in question is physically and visibly damaged.

Shorting random things in electronics is not something I would recommend to anyone..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back